Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    John Martin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 09:56 AM
    240 Volt Wall Heater
    I have hooked both wires to separate circuit breakers one white and one black and connected them to the black and red leads from the wall unit and the ground poles on the heater box but it does not work. If I disconnect the white wire from the circuit breaker and connect it to the white posts on the breaker box it works (standard 110 hook up) but with reduced heat and fan performance.

1. circuit breaker-----black----- to black on wall heater
    2. circuit breaker-----white------to red on wall heater
    3. ground from circuit breaker box to wall heater box
    THIS DOES NOT WORK

1. circuit breaker----- Black------ to black on wall heater
    2. White post connector in circuit breaker box with white wire to--- red lead on wall heater.
    3. ground from circuit breaker box to ground on wall heater box works but at reduced performance
    Help me understand this. Should I run another wire from the white post on the circuit breaker box. Should it be like running power for a dryer or stove with three leads red + black from circuit breakers and white from the white posts in the circuit breaker box
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2006, 10:02 AM
    You say I have hooked both wires to separate circuit breakers, you must be using a 2 pole circuit breaker rated for 250 volt. Do you have 240 volts at the breaker when it is on? You may be connecting to a tandem breakr, looks like a 2 pole, but both poles connect to one bus on the paenl, as a true 2 pole CB connects to both bus bas in the panel.

What is the part number and make of the breaker you are using?

Feb 19, 2006, 10:11 AM
    It is a BR2020 the size of a standard breaker with 2 different breaker switches on it.

Feb 19, 2006, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    You say I have hooked both wires to separate circuit breakers, you must be using a 2 pole circuit breaker rated for 250 volt. Do you have 240 volts at the breaker when it is on? You may be connectin to a tandem breakr, looks like a 2 pole, but both poles connect to one bus on the paenl, as a true 2 pole CB connects to both bus bas in the panel.

What is the part number and make of the breaker you are using?
    BR2020 the size of a single breaker but with two breakers on it.
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2006, 11:17 AM
    Yes, you have a Cutler Hammer #BR2020 tandem breaker consisting of two single pole 20 amp breakers that can fit into the space of one full size breaker.

This CB only connects to one leg 120 volt bus in the panel, and is used to add circuits to a panel that is full of full size breakers, instead of replacing the panel. So at the heater you are only getting two circuits of 120 volt to ground, and cannot get 240 volt.

You need a Cutler Hammer #BR220, this will connect to both hot bus bars in the panel, and deliver 240 volts that you need. Let me guess, a clerk in a big box hardware store helped you choose the parts you needed.

It means another trip back to the store, with your receipt to exchange the BR2020 for a BR220.

Feb 19, 2006, 11:34 AM
    Does that mean I just need to buy another breaker. Hook one breaker to the black wire on the heater and the other wire from the other breaker White to the red lead.and of course the ground.

Feb 19, 2006, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by John Martin
    Does that mean I just need to buy another breaker. hook one breaker to the black wire on the heater and the other wire from the other breaker White to the red lead.and of course the ground.
    TO MR tkrussell Hopefully you get bypassed buy this severe cold front. Our Windchills have been down to the -40s. Up here in the mountains
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2006, 11:49 AM
    Yes as I stated, You need a Cutler Hammer #BR220, which is only one circuit breaker with 2 poles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

GFCI for wall heater? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a wall heater in a small bathroom. The heater will be next to a pedestal sink and controlled by a wall switch. The heater will be on its own 12 gauge, 20 amp circuit. The question is, should I install a GFCI outlet in the line before the heater to give ground fault protection to...

Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet [ 1 Answers ]

We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240...

240 volt wall heater [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a wall heater in a room. The heater has a ground wire and a black and red wire. How do you hook it up to 240 volts? Do I need to run four wires, three wires? I have a double breaker at 20 amps already in the circuit breaker panel but what do I need to hook up power. Does one of...

View more questions Search