Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    str33t punk Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Apr 30, 2008, 03:28 PM
    if H and O are flameble why not H2O?
    hey guys I was thinking to myself today.. I thought that oxygen is flameble.. hydrogen is also flameble then why isn't water (H2O= hydrogen2 Oxegen)
    flameble?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 04:21 AM
    Because, it is another chemical with different properties. Only a mixture will retain its original properties.
    AndMadMan Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Hydrogen and Oxygen could be considered to be high energy molecules. You can actually mix hydrogen and oxygen without a reaction. Once you provide the activation energy, typically a spark or other catalyst, the molecules react releasing energy. Water is a low energy molecule compared to hydrogen and oxygen.
    str33t punk Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

May 27, 2008, 05:43 PM
    So when both of the molecules mix they accually an stay flammable if they don't have a reaction but once they do it turns into a molecule with lower energy?
    robkelly2242 Posts: 57, Reputation: 0

May 27, 2008, 10:38 PM
    It is really frightening how little you people know about basic chemistry. Or spelling. Or grammar. But you know a lot of buzzwords.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2008, 04:16 AM
    When these molecules (O2 and H2) react to form water, they lose their energy as heat and light in common cases. Therefore it is obvious that water will have less energy.

The opposite happens to reactions involving absorption of energy, where the resultant products have more energy than the reactants themselves.

For example, heating water, causes it to absorb water, thus gaining enough energy to be converted into a gas, which is steam.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 04:28 AM
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned electrons and orbitals yet.

Oxygen is a reactive species because it required an additional two electrons to fill it's outer shell and become stable.

Hydrogen is also a reactive species because it requires the loss of an outer electron to become stable.

When two hydrogens react with one oxygen they share their outer electrons with the oxygen to complete it's outer shell. This produces a stable molecule which has no need to proceed in further reactions i.e. it is not reactive or flammable. It is energetically stable http://homepages.ius.edu/GKIRCHNE/Water6.jpg
    Uber Member

May 28, 2008, 04:42 AM
    Water is not VERY reactive you mean, because there are reactions involving water. Anyway, water is not flammable and that instead of burning, water absorbs the heat given to it to change state.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2008, 04:53 AM
    Good point Unknown I did oversimplify.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 03:38 AM
    Never mind. :D That often happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search