Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelo244b Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2008, 04:46 PM
    jrebel7, I sent you the email and was wondering if you got it ?
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Hi there! Yes I have replied several times and just answered the last note you sent. I don't understand why we are having difficulty in connecting by mail. Let me try one more thing. Don't give up on me. :)

I tired sending (NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE) but e-mail message bit it said you had not designated one.

Are you not receiving any mail I send to you?
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Hi there! Yes I have replied several times and just answered the last note you sent. I don't understand why we are having difficulty in connecting by mail. Let me try one more thing. Don't give up on me. :)

I tired sending (NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE) but e-mail message bit it said you had not designated one.

Are you not receiving any mail I send to you?

Just had one more thought. Left click on my name jrebel7 on the left side of this page and see options to Private Message or E-mail. If you choose E-mail, it will not show my address but will allow you to e-mail me and I will receive it. In the body of the message, type your personal e-mail address to me that you use and I will reply with more instructions. Let's try that.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 10:36 PM
    Leo Vale - I only reported exactly as I was told By The Man at the mint where paper currency is made in Washington >Known as ( THE MONEY FACTORY ) HIS NAME IS ( JIM MARSHALL ) I thought at the time it sounded funny but I will know more when the main man sends me what jim told me ,and then I will get ity posted on this thread :: Have a good day and GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 10:39 PM
    Hey You Three <this Is What I Really Call Team Work I Think Youall Done A Very Good Job > Keep Up The Good Work :: Have A Good Day And God Bless :: F. B.e.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 12:18 AM
    I'm glad that the image of the note finally got posted! Yes, teamwork is a big part of what it's about here! :)

Jul 16, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Jrebel7 Thanks for your work I really appreciate it. That is a scan I sent you. I hope the others get a look at it, FBE / LEO I am interested in finding out about the signature, it would seem that if the name was on there 3 years BEFORE he became secretary then we might have something here. Looks like LEO got the links to back that up right?
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo244b
    Jrebel7 Thanks for your work I really appreciate it. That is a scan I sent you. I hope the others get a look at it, FBE / LEO I am interested in finding out about the signature, it would seem that if the name was on there 3 years BEFORE he became secretary then we might have something here. Looks like LEO got the links to back that up right?
    Hey there! It was my pleasure to help you get this posted. I am in the process of posting another image, same bill but did an adjustment on the image to hopefully make it more clear from the image you sent me today. I will post it. If it is better, we can keep that one on the thread.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Image provided by angelo244b - 1953 5 Dollar Note

Trying again to post a more clear image of angelo's 5 dollar note. Hope this make it more clear to view. :)

:::EDIT::: Just for clarification, I had posted this bill previously but the image was not clear. I have reposted but it is now out of normal sequence with the posts above. I apologize for any confusion this might have caused. I believe originally it was post #45 in between F.B.E.'s two posts and just prior to Clough's.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 11:36 PM
    Nice editing and re-posting of the image, jrebel7! :)
    Leo Vale Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jul 17, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Wow, this really isn't making sense, unless the Moneyfactory.com got it wrong. Here's what I found on the Treasury's Burau of Engraving and Printing web site about currency series.

Series Year and Federal Reserve Bank Indicators
    A new series will result from a change in the Secretary of the Treasury, the Treasurer of the United States, and/or a change to the note's appearance such as a new currency design. After the Secretary of the Treasury changes, a new series year is adopted (e.g. 1999). When the Treasurer of the United States changes, a suffix letter is added to the current series year (e.g. 1999A). Additional changes of the Treasurer, whereby the Secretary of the Treasury remains the same results in subsequent letter changes to the current series year (e.g. 1999B, 1999C, etc.).

OK, here's what we know

1. Humphrey was the Sec of Treasury from Jan 20, 1953 - July 29, 1957
    Therefore, currency printed during his tenure should bear the series year 1953.

2. Priest was Treasurer of U.S. from Jan 28, 1953 - Jan 20, 1961
    Priest's term began 8 days AFTER Humphrey's tenure as SecTreas. If any bills were printed in the 8 days between when Humphrey started and Priest arrived, they should bear the series 1953 and have Clark (Priest's predecessor) and Humphrey's signature. I have posted an image on page 3 showing my bill is a 1953, yet the signators are Priest/Humphrey.

Once Priest began serving as TreasUS under Humphrey, new printed paper currency should have been designated as the 1953-A series and the signators should have been Priest/Humphrey. Again, my $5 bill is a 1953, but the signators should suggest it is a 1953-A.

3. Anderson became Sec of Treasury July 29, 1957
    Since the SecTreas changed, a new series year should be adopted when Anderson arrived and they should bear the series year 1957. Since Priest was still TreasUS and he and Anderson resigned Jan 20, 1961 currency with their signatures should be 1957 series (no letter suffix).

As an aside (for those who haven't seen a pattern), entrance and resignation dates for new officials at this level (not surprisingly) coincide with, or are very close to, the inauguration day of a new President.

So if the BEP web site is accurate, why is my bill a 1953 series and not a 1953-A, and why is Angelo's bill a 1953-A and not a 1957?

My guess is that either I misinterpreted the explanation of how series years/letters are assigned or it's inaccurate (perhaps by ommission).

Jul 21, 2008, 03:31 PM
    OK guys! I have done some searching too, if we all see that Robert B Anderson wasn't Sec of the Treasury UNTIL July 29th 1957 WHY is his signature on the bill I have? Error note? Is there a simple explanation? Which is it?

Jul 21, 2008, 03:33 PM
    OH by the way. Thank you to Leo Vale for bringing this to our attention. You are on top of your game sir! THANKS!!
    lgp86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Ok I have read most of the posts on this thread. I do not understand the signatures and dates. I am not a collector but came across a red five dollar bill.
    1953B series, c54430413A serial #, Elizabeth Rudel Smith Treasurer(61-Apr.62) and C. Douglas Dillon Sec. Treas.(61-65). How can they print in later years. I find the bills are more interesting as conversation pieces than the face value.
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2008, 01:30 PM

Angelo244B - AND THE FOLLOWING -
    LEO VZALE LGP86 - I got a letter from the money factory and I posted it on the following post ( bdigger- post # 5 , on page one ( 1 ) IT CONCERNS THE PROBLEM ABOUT THE SIGNATURES ON NOTES WHEN THEY ARE NOT IN OFFICE YET. IM going to see if CLOUGH ca n move it over here , IM Still wondering though . Have a good day and hope youal had a nice and safe Thangiveing . IM as full as a tick on a coon dog in the middle of summer ;; GOD BLESS :::F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 04:06 AM

Hi, F.B.E. I'd like to help here, but it's hard to move anything around to a referred page here, unless I have a definite link. Posting, "( bdigger- post # 5 , on page one ( 1 )" doesn't really tell me anything and I would have to search really hard for the thread and post. Providing the link to the particular thread would be the best thing to do.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo244b View Post
    I came across a 5 dollar bill from 1953. It says series 1953 A. It has a red seal and red serial numbers. There is a red star in front of each serial number and the letter A after. The names are Priest and Anderson. Treasurer and Secretary of Treasury. The serial # is... star 08287916 A. It has a fold right down the center of Lincolns head, edges look good. It looks a little used but in all I would say in good condition. Just wondering if its worth anything. Thanks
    CLOUGH - I think this is the link that you will need. This is the first time I'v tried this .F.B.E.
    What is the value of a hand signed 1 dollar silver certificate.

on bdigger nov 26,2008,05:17am
    CLOUGH IF IVE GOOFED UP ON THIS LET ME KNOW AND I WILL RETRY : THANKS F.B.E.I hope your turkey day turned ouy fantastic and safe

THE {URL} = http://Askmehelpdesk.com/collectibles/what-value -hand-signed-1-dollar-silver-certificate-284657.html} THANKS F.B.E.:):D
    JayKay3141 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Hi All, I stumbled on this thread while researching questions for another site where I supervise the Coins and Paper Money category.

To clear up a lot of confusion, there is neither error nor clairvoyance involved in the signatures and dates shown on the bills. The conditions that the BEP uses to trigger a date or series letter change are not the same now as they were 50 years ago. At that time a new date was used only when there was a design change. The series letter changed when either a new Secretary of the Treasury or U.S. Treasurer took office. That's why, for example, the 1935 series of $1 silver certificates was actually printed well into the Johnson administration, with letters going up to H.

In addition the plates were not necessarily changed the instant a new official took office. Those (in)famous Barr notes were issued for a considerable portion of 1968 even though Mr. Barr served only for about a month. Almost half a BILLION notes with his signature were printed and, urban legends to the contrary, they're not very valuable.

The policy today is to change the series year when a new Secretary takes office, and change the letter when a new Treasurer is appointed. I haven't seen anything to confirm this but it seems that a design change is no longer a criterion, which is why we have 2004-A $10 bills but no 2004's, and two different $5 designs under the 2006 series.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 08:09 PM

THIS LETTER IS QUoted as word for word, BY JIM MARSHALL
    This is to all on this post ,it concerns the signatures by ( ANDERSON ) on several different denominations of paper money starting in the series year 1050::As per letter
    From the ( BUREAU OF ENGRAVING AND
    PRINTING ) { WASHINGTON DC} {DATED NOVEMBER 19,2008 }

Dear MR flying Blue Eagle
    Thank you for your letter of OCTOber 31,2008. You would like to know how SECRETARY OF THE treasury ( ROBERT ANDERSON'S Signature appears on the $ 5.00 united states note, 1953A, THE $ 50.00 federal reserve note ,SERIES 1950B, and the $100.00 FEDERAL RESERVE NOTE, SERIES 1950B, When he held office from JULY 29,1957 to JANUARY 20,1961.

YOU appear of the opinion that these particular note series were or issued before the start of ANDERSON'S term of office.

CONTRARY TO YOUR OPINION the records show that each series was delivered or issued at least a month after ANDERSON BECAME SECRETARY OF THE TREASURY. THE beginning delivery dates for these series are provided below:

. $ 5.00 UNITED STATES NOTE, SERIES 1953A : FEBRUARY 10, 1958
    , $ 50.00 FEDERAL RESERVE NOTE< SERIES 1950B : SEPTEMBER 25, 1957 TO ST LOUIS FRB
    . $ 100.00 FEDERAL RESERVE NOTE, SERIES 1950B; SEPTEMBER 4,1957 TO DALLAS FRB

I TRUST THAT THIS information is helpful.
    SINCERELY
    JIM MARSHALL
    MONEYFACTORY.GOV
    BUREAU OF ENGRAVING AND PRINTING
    THIS IS A COPY OF THE LETTER I FINALLY RECEIVED TO THE QUESTIONS THAT I ASKED AND WAS WANTING CONFERMATION OF THE SIGNATURES OF ROBERT ANDERSON ::: YOUAL HAVE A VERY NICE DAY TOMORROW AND GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    rhzoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2010, 12:34 PM

I want to know the same thing. I got one as change and hope it's worth more than $5

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1953 $2 dollar bill [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a 1953 $2 dollar bill. It is an A series in red letter and numbers. Signed by Priest and Anderson. A 50633688 A. If anyone could tell me how much it is worth I would really be thankful. :) :confused:

1953 TWO Dollar bills qty=50 consecutive serial# [ 1 Answers ]

I came across approximately 50 $2 TWO dollar bills printed in red ink from 1953. They are uncirculated and in mint condition and are consecutively serial numbered. Wondering about an approximate value on the entire lot? Thx

2 Dollar United States Note [ 8 Answers ]

I have a $2.00 United States Note which is 1953 Series and it has a red star before the Serial Number 00134626A which is also in red. Can someone tell me what it is worth? Thank you, Buddy896.

Value of you.S. Dollar compared [ 1 Answers ]

Value of U.S. dollar compared to American Revolutionary War?

View more questions Search