Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2008, 12:39 AM
    Well, I think that you are definitely on task there and correct, Flying Blue Eagle! You are the guy that's got the documentation on these sorts of things! I couldn't rate you again so soon...
    Leo Vale Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jun 13, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle
    Leo- I think you need to take anotheer look. I have several different books dateing back to the mid 50's and they all give ( PRIEST - ANDERSON ) on the $5.00 bill in 1953 A
    Have a good day and GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.:) :D :)
    Hey I wasn't alive then so I can only rely on whatever records I can locate.

The U.S. Treasury web site says Anderson wasn't Sec of Treas until 1957.
    U.S. Treasury - Biography of Secretary Robert B. Anderson

Wikipedia says Anderson wasn't Sec of Treas until 1957
    Robert Bernard Anderson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even his obituary in the NY Times says he was Sec of Treas from 1957-1961
    ROBERT B. ANDERSON, EX-TREASURY CHIEF, DIES AT 79 - New York Times

And... and this is as good as it gets, I have a 1953-A red seal U.S. $5 note and Humphrey's signature is on it as Sec of Treasury. I couldn't read the signature but it didn't look like "Anderson" so I did some research to see who Sec of Treas in 1953. The signature is definitely Humphrey.

So, either all of my sources are incorrect and the Treasury printed a 1953 note with the prophetic listing of Anderson as Sec of Treasury... or the books you possess are incorrect and Angelo244b is mistaken.

The only other possibility... and this seems far-fetched... is that it is customary for the Treasury to print paper currency in a later year with a previous year actually appearing on the note.

I'd love to see a scanned image of Angelo244b's note. He might have a real collectible. Can we solve this mystery?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Leo Vale ,And other interested persons - Threw all areas that I check on this matter ,STANDS AS I HAVE ALREADY POSTED <UTILL SUCH TIME AS I FIND DIFFERENT< I AM SUSPOSED TO Speak TO A GENTALMAN TOMORROW ABOUT THIS FROM THE TREASURY< I HOPE THAT I COME UP WITH THE REAL CORRECT ANSWER IF I AM WRONG < ANY way I will post the results of what I find out. Leo I have checked the things you have posted and I can see where you are comeing from, I am at the point that maybe yours is a counter fit, because so many different books say different, BUT what I read from what you posted ,it makes me really wonder," which OF THEM IS RIGHT ".
    BOY IF THE BOOKS ARE WRONG (<THEN I CAN SEE A PREETY BIG " CONTERVERCY COMING<) I SURE WISH I COULD SEE A PICTURE OF THE BOTH OF THE BILLS, With the signatures magnafied to show the signatures .::: Have a good day. :::
    AND GOD BLESS,::::: F.B.E.

Jun 16, 2008, 05:35 AM
    FBE, Watch this space the evening of June 16th. When I return home from work, I'll scan an image of the bill and post to my Photobucket page and either insert it here (I'm new and not sure what AskMeHelpDesk allows) or provide a link to Photobucket. I suspect I'll have this done by 8:00pm ET.
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Vale
    FBE, Watch this space the evening of June 16th. When I return home from work, I'll scan an image of the bill and post to my Photobucket page and either insert it here (I'm new and not sure what AskMeHelpDesk allows) or provide a link to Photobucket. I suspect I'll have this done by 8:00pm ET.
    Just so you know, you can post images directly on this site in the posts. :)

Jun 16, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Here's the image...

angelo244b Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jul 5, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Hey guys I would like to show a scan of my bill buy can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone let me know how to do this? Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 09:53 PM
    LEO VALE - Please take a good look at the series date on your bill that you posted, It has 1953- no letter afgter the date , AND ANGELOS HAS 1953A. YOU are right as far as your bill goes on the signatures go, AND so is Angelo. Priest - Anderson had their signatures on other bills also in the same years, ( $1.00 ::$2.00 Ect Ect . So that leaves us ehere we were. I have not heard from the man at the treasury as of yet , I guess I'M going to have to call him again ::: Have a good day and GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.

Jul 6, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo244b
    Hey guys I would like to show a scan of my bill buy can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone let me know how to do this? Thanks!
    Angelo, the only way to insert an image is to provide a link to the image residing on another site. There are numerous photo hosting sites that you can subscribe to for free. I use Photobucket.com.

Once you create an account and upload the image to your Photobucket album, you can "post" it here by inserting a link to the image. First, reply to a message (or create a new one). Then click on the icon of a square postcard showing a 2-peak mountain under a yellow sky immediately above the text input window. Click on it and you'll be prompted to provide the URL (web address) to the image you want to insert. Photobucket lists the text for a direct link below the image once it's been uploaded to your album.

Jul 6, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle
    LEO VALE - Please take a good look at the series date on your bill that you posted, It has 1953- no letter afgter the date , AND ANGELOS HAS 1953A. YOU are right as far as your bill goes on the signatures go, AND so is Angelo. Priest - Anderson had their signatures on other bills also in the same years, ( $1.00 ::$2.00 Ect Ect . So that leaves us ehere we were. I have not heard from the man at the treasury as of yet , I guess I'M going to have to call him again ::: Have a good day and GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.
    FBE... Ooops, Yes, I mistakenly ID'd my bill as a 1953A rather than a 1953, but as you acknowledged, that doesn't solve our mystery. Unless 1953A's were printed in 1957 (when Anderson became Sec of Treasury) I can't see how his signature can be on a 1953 or 1953A bill - - unless the engraver was a clairvoyant. :p
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Leo Vale- I figured that was what had happen, there was only ONE that was Perfect and it sure was not mer or nor you. With me ,if I wasn't making a mistake ,then I'm not doing anything, But I try. I am going to make thsat phone call tomorrow and see what they can tell me how he was able to do the signing at that time, and it was't only that denommanationof currency ,that had his signature on them. Oh well have a good day and hope all of youall had a good and safe 4th. GOD BLESS ::: f>b.E.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2008, 12:11 AM
    You can post an image directly from somewhere on your computer. I usually keep those that I want to post on this site in a folder on my desktop entitled, "Images to Post on Ask Me Help Desk." It doesn't have to be a link to another site, and it would be preferred if you would post directly on a thread here. It's not hard. jrebel7 has great instructions for doing so. I will alert her to your post.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Hi there Angelo244b,
    Clough let me know you would like information on how to resize and post images. I tend to be an "A to Z" person so please don't be offended by my step by step. I may post on two posts. I type like I talk... a lot! LOL

Have you saved these images to a file on your computer? You should have a file perhaps 'MY PICTURES" where you can save images. If the images are attachments on your e-mails, you should be able to left click to choose each, right click and and it will give you the option to open or save as. Click on "Save As" and it will give you the options of where you can save it.....you should see My Documents, My Music, My pictures, etc. Best to save in "My Pictures" as a .jpg file. If you click on My Documents, you should see as you scroll down, a yellow folder that says "My Pictures" on the list. Open that folder to "Save your image as" and type in name then click enter. It will save it in that folder.

Bring up "MY PICTURES" folder where you image is saved. Left click on image once (this chooses it, does not open it) then right click on it. Run your cursor over "OPEN WITH", it should show you several choices...if you see Microsoft Photo Editor, left click to open. Your image will show up in that program on your screen. At the top of that screen, you will see File, Edit, View, Image, etc. Left click on IMAGE, it should have a drop down box giving options, left click on "RESIZE" There will be a box that appears that shows the size of your image. On the right side it will show UNITS.....on the drop down box you can choose inches or pixels, choose pixels. On this site, when you choose "GO ADVANCED", that is where you can add the image and to do so, the image cannot be larger than 750 pixels. On mine, whatever is largest, height or width, I change it to 400 and the smaller measure changes automatically. As long as the largest dimension, whether height or width is not over 750 pixels, the image should upload nicely. Your choice of size up to 750.

Once you have done this, PLEASE got to File and choose "SAVE AS"...you can name that image the same as original but add the word at the end as resized. That way you retain the larger image but also have one you can post. If you want the image to be fairly large, you can go with the 750 pixels, I have used 600 but generally choose 450. That is just personal preference.

Hope this helps!

When you begin your new post on the thread, choose "Go Advanced", scroll down, you will see "Additional Options" and below "Manage Attachments", click on that and a box called "Browse" will come up, click on it, find your photo you have saved, choose it and click on "Upload. As soon as the box is clear, click out and go back to your post and you can post information about the image, then hit send.
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 10:32 PM
    THIS is to leovale and everyone else that has been fllowing this thread, it is from FLYING BLUE EAGLE. Today I finally got to ralk to the next person in line that will be getting me the answer to our big myserty about the signature of ANDERSON ON SEVERAL DIFFERENT DENOMANATIONS OF PAPER CURRENCY IN THE YEAR (1953) THAT WAS (SIGNED BY HIM AND HE DID ) NOT become SECRETARY Until ( 1957) . This is the answers that I got so far:: ( QUOTE- The TREASURY probley had a stack of currency that had no signatures on them yet ,and was dated (1953A) and was needing to be put into circulation, so they were signed at that time (1957) BUT - he said that the head man was going to write out answer to me on just what where and how it camre about, He also said that the treasury thought NO ONE would ever catch it , HA HA WE FOOLED;;; (THEM. SOP NOW part of the mystery is solved) I will keep fllowing up on this matter,and let everyone know what I find out ,as soon as I have it . I think I could have spoken to presdient BUSH easier. Have a good day everyone , :: AND GOD BLESS ::F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 02:50 AM
    I would like to note that angelo244b has apparently attempted three times to post the image of his bill, apparently unsuccessfully. These attempts are something that most others can't see.

angelo244b, if your would post the legitimate link to the image of your bill, then I would be glad to post an image of it.

A good part of what this site is about is teamwork! :)

Thanks!

Jul 15, 2008, 09:17 AM
    FBE, The answer seems rather strange. The signatures on currency don't get on the bills the same way sports stars sign memorabilia at a show. That is, the Sec of Treas isn't sitting in his office with a crate full of unsigned $5 bills signing each one until his hand cramps. The sigs are put on at the same time as the Federal Reserve District seal and its corresponding number during the first overprinting in black ink and before the overprinting of the Treasury seal and serial number in green ink. Isn't this correct?

BTB, if the sheets were left in their 32-subject sheets for four years before being cut and overprinted with a later Secretary, would this make such a bill more valuable or is this a common occurrence?
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I would like to note that angelo244b has apparently attempted three times to post the image of his bill, apparently unsuccessfully. These attempts are something that most others can't see.

angelo244b, if your would post the legitimate link to the image of your bill, then I would be glad to post an image of it.

A good part of what this site is about is teamwork! :)

Thanks!
    If I can help by being more clear in directions, let me know. I will be happy to do so my messenger if angelo is on messenger!
    angelo244b Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jul 15, 2008, 03:22 PM
    jrebel7, right off the bat I had trouble. I brought up my image and rt clicked but I don't have Microsoft photo editor. I tried a few times anyway but it just wasn't working. I'll be glad to try something else or just email it to someone just let me know and I will post my address you can email me and I can send it to you. Thanks for your help guys I really appreciate it! I just want somebody to actually see the bill.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 03:25 PM
    jrebel7, right off the bat I had trouble. I brought up my image and rt clicked but I don't have microsoft photo editor. I tried a few times anyway but it just wasn't working. I'll be glad to try something else or just email it to someone just let me know and i will let you know my address and I can send it to you. Thanks for your help guy I really appreciate it!! I just want somebody to actually see the bill.
    Hi there! If you can send me the image, I will gladly resize for you and post it. Check PM for my personal e-mail address! We can get this done tonight. :p :p :p
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Angelo, since you are having problems with seeing my address, just go to Private Message and send me a new note with your home e-mail address typed in. We can go from there. That way, when I send a note, you can reply and attach image. K??

I wonder if there is a block on your computer not to accept e-mail addresses within the body of an e-mail. I have never heard of that but I am not real computer savvy on those types of things. I think though, since I received your note a bit ago, you can just e-mail your personal e-mail address to me in PM and I should receive it since I have been able to view others who send me theirs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1953 $2 dollar bill [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a 1953 $2 dollar bill. It is an A series in red letter and numbers. Signed by Priest and Anderson. A 50633688 A. If anyone could tell me how much it is worth I would really be thankful. :) :confused:

1953 TWO Dollar bills qty=50 consecutive serial# [ 1 Answers ]

I came across approximately 50 $2 TWO dollar bills printed in red ink from 1953. They are uncirculated and in mint condition and are consecutively serial numbered. Wondering about an approximate value on the entire lot? Thx

2 Dollar United States Note [ 8 Answers ]

I have a $2.00 United States Note which is 1953 Series and it has a red star before the Serial Number 00134626A which is also in red. Can someone tell me what it is worth? Thank you, Buddy896.

Value of you.S. Dollar compared [ 1 Answers ]

Value of U.S. dollar compared to American Revolutionary War?

View more questions Search