Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 2, 2008, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hundalei
    Does that even sound reasonable to anyone? Nothing happens without due process. In order for that fine to come into place they have to prove you were guilty and you have to admit it. If they have proof, they ask you to sign a form admitting your guilt, and attesting as to what took place. Then they are usually nice and let you off with a fine, and an agreement that you will not return to the store. Loads of people will admit to what they did and pay the fine to avoid a criminal record, HOWEVER, if you do not admit to your guilt they cannot make you pay a fine. Security will call the police and it will go through the legal system. If you are found guilty by a court of law, then yes they can make you pay a fine to the store, for cost of security, lost product, etc. Thanks for the laugh though.
    Check the case law, I forget the exact cite but its from Hudson Bay Company.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 3, 2008, 01:12 PM
    I am sorry if you feel it is not fair or right, but Scott is merely telling you what they do under civil law there. Stores have the right to impose their own penalty without going though the criminal courts ( although money do both) The store will at times allow the person the chance to take care of it though civil process, paying the amount allowed

If the person does not want to pay, and wishes to be sued in court, then yes they have their right to refuse to pay. But that does not stop the stores right to charge it without any additional due process
    Hundalei Posts: 65, Reputation: 4

May 3, 2008, 03:10 PM
    I understand to a certain extent. But a store having the right to place a fine does not in any way mean they will collect if a person disagrees without "due process". Either a person signs a form admitting guilt and paying the fine or the go through the justive system. Either one is a process is it not? It is not just a store saying hey we suspect you of this and now hand over $500 whether you agree or not. There is a legal process to fines happening either by admission signed or by court verdict.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 3, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hundalei
    I understand to a certain extent. But a store having the right to place a fine does not in any way mean they will collect if a person disagrees without "due process". Either a person signs a form admitting guilt and paying the fine or the go through the justive system. Either one is a process is it not? It is not just a store saying hey we suspect you of this and now hand over $500 whether you agree or not. There is a legal process to fines happening either by admission signed or by court verdict.

This has turned into a debate on a message board, complete with posts being pulled - maybe it's time to end the thread. It's no longer legal advice and it's into arguing what people can or cannot do, the powers of the Police and so on.

And I thought you said good-bye, you were leaving... yesterday.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 3, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Post Closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lake monster movie? [ 3 Answers ]

I recall a movie from awhile ago that involved these children in search of a lake monster. I'm pretty sure at some point a child left an oreo on the dock which the monster ate. Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is really bugging me.

Rights of a owner on a lake cabin [ 5 Answers ]

I have a cabin on a lake in North Dakota, we own the cabin but rent the land that our cabin is on. Some of the property beyond the cabin is corps land. Every year the land lord sends out a bill in the spring for the lot rent, and this year he also stated in the bill if anyone from now on sells...

Why does club mandate members wear jockstrap? [ 1 Answers ]

Just joined martial arts club. Club rules mandate wearing jockstrap for all club training sessions. Why? There are plenty more comfortable underwear with same purpose as jock.

I need a large lake in my toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a small puddle of water in my toilet bowl. I'm hoping to get some ideas on which toilets are the best. I want a lake. A big lake. I also want something that will scare people when it's flushed. I want the floor to shake as my lake is emptied and a new lake emerges. So some ideas...

View more questions Search