Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 21, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PJAMOK
    Maybe they should. I'm not saying the Federal government doesn't have a law that would override the state's, but there is a no wage garnishment statute in the state of South Carolina.

Wage Garnishment and Bankruptcy Exemptions -- South Carolina
    WAGE GARNISHMENT EXEMPTION: 100 percent of wages exempt

And I was looking it up well before you answered--amazingly enough, the world doesn't revolve around your answers.

If I were her, I would not proceed with garnishing an employee's wages without written notification from either the federal govenment or the state of South Carolina. I certainly would not do it because someone told me to over the phone based on a collection agency's say so. She needs legal advice so she does not end up on the wrong end of this.

You didn't say you looked it up - you said you called an Attorney friend, I disagreed and I posted the exact language - you continue to post the Bankruptcy portion of the code.

Amazingly enough on this topic the World DOES revolve around my answer - and the answers of everyone else who has posted on this thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loan garnishment of Social security Benefits [ 3 Answers ]

Previously the first $750 of monthly Social Security retirement benefits was exempt from levy by the I.R.S. A recent law has overturned that and your Social Security benefits can be garnished for 15% of the amount, regardless of the amount you receive. Does the $750 exemption still apply to...

Wage garnishment for student loans [ 3 Answers ]

I have filed bankruptcy 3 years ago which my student loan had to stay from 1999, no payment have been made due to deferments and not working conditions. Since then tons of interest and collections fees have accrued and a garnishment has started. Is there anything I can do to fight this or what...

Student loan garnishment law [ 1 Answers ]

How much of a persons social security check can be taken to satisfy defaulted student loans. I have read that the first $9000.00 is exempt and I have heard it is not. I have heard the garnishment is 10% and I have heard 15%. I would like to know the truth and is the percentage which is...

Student loan wage garnishment and income taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I just received a wage garnishment through my employer for my student loan. I wanted to know if my income taxes are going to be taken too. I am a single parent and need the money. I never received a letter stating that my income takes would be taken but is the student loan company obligated to send...

Student Loan: Garnishment without judgment? [ 3 Answers ]

Since credit cards can't garnish wages without a judgment , can a student loan do it then ?:confused:

View more questions Search