Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crewdan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Battery storage to power grid
    Hi Everyone,
    My name is Dan
    I live in Portland, Oregon
    I have a basic understanding of electricity.
    It is easy to charge a 12 volt battery with house current and a transformer.

Keep in mind this is hypothetical.
    (The only thing that can NOT be changed is correct input to return power to the power grid)

My grid service is set up for net metering (Power in/ out )

I have a rechargeable battery unit (size?? ) 1- 20 battery Voltage 12/ 24/ 48??
    The storage unit is fully charged / and is disconnect from its input power supply
    How can I transfer stored power back to the power grid
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 1, 2008, 07:54 PM
    Well, I know you can do that with solar panels or wind turbines. If I had to guess, I would say use an inverter unit from one of those setups to convert the DC battery to the AC grid. I don't think it would be that effective though, and if you want to create this setup, I would hire a professional electrician, definitely not do it yourself.

As a final thought, I don't think it would be a very efficient way to turn your meter back.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2008, 08:18 PM
    You need a grid-tie inverter. See Xantrex Technology Inc.
    What happens is that the inverter synchonizes it's voltage and frequency output with the incoming power and the current produced will subtract from the incoming current. If the utility disconnects, the inverter must too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

79 dodge d 150 won't start or get power to the battery [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 79 dodge power wagon. Sometimes the truck would start normally and other times there would not even be power to turn on the head lights. I would mess with the battery connections and make sure things are plugged in and usually it would start up. This last time it would do nothing at all....

Cottage power, no grid.yet [ 13 Answers ]

Okay, I have a cottage. There isn't electricity where it is yet and I want to have power. I've been doing some research and I would like to use a generator. Preferibly a propane generator so I could use the propane for other uses like cooking or aux heat when wood is low. But there'll be times...

Battery backup power for Lennox G61MPV furnace? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to be able to operate my 2004 Lennox G61MPV furnace using a 1200W, 12V DC to 110V AC power inverter. The blower works just fine, but as soon as it tries to ignite, the furnace shuts down. I suspect it may be a question of proper grounding--the furnace may be very sensitive to this. ...

Charging power mower battery [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dead battery on my troy blt ride on mower. How can I charge battery. Can I use my car battery?

Battery cranking power [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a large difference between a 30 amp cca at 30 degrees Fahrenheit and a 30 amp cca at 0 degrees Fahrenheit for initial starting power?

View more questions Search