Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bettygary2204 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Installing new shower, sink, and commode
    We have a small cabin on some property which we are getting ready to install a pre-fab shower, pedestal sink and commode. We have never done any of these things and could use any help that anyone can give us. Our area is about 6 x 4 and we are installing a 32" shower. We have the septic system in and that is it. We have not done any hole cutting or anything like that, it is a clean slate... any advise would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Lets start by telling us what the flooring is in the bath, concrete or lumber and is there access underneath the room? 4x6 is going to be snug, I assume all fixture will be along one wall, right?

May 1, 2008, 06:20 AM
    The flooring beneath is lumber and there is access underneath the room. We we thinking of putting the shower in the corner and the sink on one wall and the potty on the other wall. It is 6' long and about 4"wide. Thanks for all your help, all is much appreciated!

May 1, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Before we tell you installation techniques we need to plan your rough in for drains, supply lines and vent stack to the roof, you did know about a vent stack needing to go through the roof didn't you? Can you sketch a drawing of what you want to do nad scan it to us. I can't picture that you can get the sink and shower on one wall and the toilet on the opposite wall so you might be thinking a side wall. All of the fixtures on one wll can take about 7' which you say you don't have. I am going by code and maybe you are thinking of skipping code.

May 1, 2008, 08:57 AM
    I will try and draw here:

On the line or wall directly above this sentence putting the commode and a pedestal sink across from it, or in the right hand corner. The door will be at the bottom of the line. Does this make any sense, I do not have access to a scanner

May 1, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Yes, I can picture it a little better. So the shower and toilet will be at one end of the 6' room sitting side by side, do I have this correct? The shower is 32" and the toilet needs 30" to meet code, 15" on each side measureing from the center of the toilet. That's 62" and you have 48. Am I following along what you are thinking?

May 1, 2008, 11:09 AM
    The shower is a one piece 32" that will sit in the far corner, then perhaps the toilet on the back wall and the sink directly across, or the sink on the back wall and the toilet directly across from that. Like I said we have not done this before and are looking for suggestions. Thanks so much for all your help so far...
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

May 1, 2008, 12:14 PM
    You don't have enough room.

Toilets are about 24-28" deep (depending on the toilet), and a sink is about 22" deep so there is no room to have them opposite each other. As Bob says, you don't have enough width to have them beside each other.

5'x8' (or 9' is even better) is about the smallest four piece bathroom. You might get by with 4'x8 or 9 for a three piece.

May 1, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Shower facing toward the length of the room in back left corner= 32x32 and the sink to the right is 24x24 so you don't have room for that so I'm guessing the shower is on the long wall. Without a diagram or pics this is tough. Lets try this. Your room is 4x6 so I'll make a box 4x6 and put letters inside, tell me which letter matches what fixture.
    6'
    --------------------------------------
    a b c d e f g h I j k l m
    n o p q r s t u v w x y z
    --------------------------------------
    6'

this is trcky too because the computer will not post exactly like I drew.

May 1, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Our thoughts were the shower on the small back wall which would be (an ) only further up in the corner. Then the sink on the long back wall (g)and the commode on the other wall( QR) but what ever way it would work does not matter to us, we just have this area to work with. 4x6 We could even use a smaller corner sink and put it in the corner by (m) on that wall. I know this is very confusing and I am sorrry...

May 1, 2008, 01:54 PM
    No apology needed. I think you might help yourself by making a scale drawing or full sized cardboard cutouts and see if you can fit them into the room and still maneuver. Remember a toilet should have 15" on each side measured from the center if you are doing this by code which I recommend. The shower you say is 32x32 but include the door swing to insure it doesn't hit anything. I just finished a 5x6 remodel and found it very snug so I know you are in a pinch, corner sink might just do it.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

May 1, 2008, 01:59 PM
    You can get a half bath in 4x6 space, the shower just won't fit. I tried to draw something for you but it just won't work out. A 5x5 space might work with the shower and toilet on one wall and the sink and door on the opposite wall, it would be tight still and you'd have to clip the corner of the shower to open up the floor a little.

5x5.pdf

May 1, 2008, 02:15 PM
    How do you feel about pocket doors?

I think it might work with a shower on the left 4' wall , and the toilet and sink on the right 4' wall. However, the toilet and sink are not facing each other, but pointing toward the showe. I'll draw a picture in a minute.

You can fit an 18" sink (this is not wide - it'll likely be a wall mount or pedestal). But to have this work, you need to have a pocket door (a hassle), or a door that opens outwards (unusual).

May 1, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Door opening out would be fine. We will only be using this cabin rarely, when the kids and grandkids come over to fish and visit, just wanted them to have a neat place to stay if they did not want to stay at the main house...

May 1, 2008, 02:22 PM
    RTW is being very creative and its starting to look hopeful. You probably have a door on one of those 4' walls and that's the one for a 30" door and 18" sink. I hate pocket doors like heck because I am the unhappy owner of several, they are just a pain in my neck to install, keep up and use daily. Lots of people have them, they must be less grumpy than me. Betty, you sound like my wife, 99% of the stuff I'm doing to my lake house is for the grand kids and the crazy dogs. The dogs have their own special bath tub in the walkout basement.

May 1, 2008, 02:37 PM
    So I think you also need a neo angle shower... this picture shows a 36"/

The door can be a 24" pocket door, or a 28"-30" door that opens outwards. Yes, I would prefer the larger door as Bob suggested.
    Consider a 1 piece toilet because they are typically smaller. An 18" sink is really small! I am not sure I have seen one - but it would have to be a pedestal or wall mount because there is no room for a vanity

This is not quite to scale. You have about 18" between the toilet bowl and the shower. It is a squeeze to get to the sink
    Attached Images

amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

May 1, 2008, 02:57 PM
    How about this:

Sink Positive

Kind of weird, but it does save space.

May 1, 2008, 04:11 PM
    That really is weird. I guess the drawbacks are that it has cold water only, and you have to be at the side of the toilet to use it. And it only seems to work while you flush the toilet... not good for shaving or washing hands if you don't want to flush.

But you're right about the space it saves. Interesting product.

May 2, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Sorry I am so late in responding to your email and all your hard work in helping us with this project. We appreciate it more than we can tell you, and the drawing looks like the way to go where everything will fit. Now we just have to figure out the plumbing and how to do all that...

May 2, 2008, 04:01 PM
    That is exactly where I was going with my first post. Once the locations of each fixture is put down in a diagram the plumbers here can do the rough in. they can then also help with the install or I could too. Refine your new design and I'll give the plumbers a heads up for rough in drawings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a tub/shower in a preexisting shower only [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having trouble installing a tub 60 inches in a 60 inch in length space. Is there a trick to getting it in this space? Thank you mike also it is extra deep tub does this make a difference??

Installing hand-held shower on fiberglass shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing onto a fiberglass shower a rain fall shower system that has a separate hand-held shower head. The two options to install are using a suction bracket or using the bracket with a screw. Can I drill into the fiberglass to use an anchor and screw? Thanks very much. Cheryl

Installing sink strainer [ 1 Answers ]

I have replaced the sink strainer on the kitchen sink and used plumbers putty. But the putty keeps oozing out whenever there is hot water in the sink, which causes the drain to loosen and leak. What am I doing wrong?

Installing a kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a kitchen sink and the plumbing is leaking. I have tightened everything. It is leaking at the tail piece that comes directly out of the sink

View more questions Search