Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loriann1961 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Adoption of a 21 year old
    I would like to find out how I need to go about adopting a 21 year old. Does anyone have the know how?:confused:
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 01:09 PM
    An adult adoption is when someone adopts a person who is 18 or over and not related to them. An adult adoption changes the legal rights of the adoptive parent and the adoptee. Adoption of adults differs from the adoption of children in three major ways:

No parental consent is required and notice is not required to be served on the natural parent.
    No agency investigation is required (although the court may order one if it is deemed necessary).
    Adult adoptions can be terminated by the adoptee on petition to the court and notice to the other party.
    FORMS REQUIRED

There are no fill-in-the-blanks forms for adult adoptions. There are three or four main documents-also known as pleadings--that must be filed with the court. These documents must contain very specific language. You can consult law library resources to find models of these documents, which you will use as guidelines for typing up forms/pleadings customized to the facts of your own situation.

The Adoption Agreement. This states that the parties agree to assume toward each other the legal relation of parent and child, and to have all of the rights and be subject to all of the duties and responsibilities of that relationship.
    The Petition (for Approval of Adoption Agreement). This document must provide many specific details, including the ages of the parties and the nature and length of their relationship, the reason(s) the adoption is being sought and why it would be in the best interest of parties, and the request that the court approve the agreement of adoption.
    The Order of Adoption (also called the Decree). This is presented to the judge at the adoption hearing, for him/her to sign. This becomes the Decree.
    Consent(s). In addition to the above three documents, if the adopting parent or the proposed adoptee is married, a spousal consent document also will be required.
    PROCEDURES

Type the Agreement (it does not have to be notarized), the Petition, the Order, (and Consent forms as needed). Make copies for all parties and for the Court.
    File the Petition with the Clerk of the Probate Court, and ask to set a hearing.
    Pay the filing fees.
    Go the hearing; take with you the Agreement and the Order for the Judge to sign.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Many states have some specific rules, it can not be done for purpose of a same sex relastionship to give the other partner rights not available because they can not marry and some other restrictions.

But you hire an attorney and file adoption paper work,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to open adoption records on closed adoption [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: I am looking for my son I keep hitting roadblocks today I found out it was a closed adoption I need to know how to get these records opened

Laws for adoption and child support after adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was wanting to know if any one might know about the laws in Arkansas for adoption. I've tried looking for my answers but I'm not to bright at this. I was wondering that when a child is adopted if child support from the other father stops? And will he still have to pay back child support that he...

Full year resident alien part year treaty [ 1 Answers ]

My country has a tax treaty with US. I came on J1 visa in September 2005 and got the benefit of the tax treaty till August 2007. And since September 2007 my taxes are being with held. I am considered as full year resident alien since Januarary 2007. Which tax form I need to fill up and where to...

Calendar Year or Fiscal Year for H1b Visa Holders? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I would be going to the US on an H1B, accompanied with my wife and two kids (all on H4). Tax experts could you please answer the following doubts of mine: 1. For individuals on H1B, the only selection of tax year is a calendar tax year, right? 2. If I reach US somewhere on Oct 1 2007, I...

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

View more questions Search