Ask
    insomniac 666 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Suicide aelfish?
    Hey simple question mayb hard answer

Is suicide selfish
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

Apr 29, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Yes, suicide is entirely selfish, and in almost all circumstances unnecessary. It causes untold pain and hardship to the people who love you, and generally harms the world to a very great extent.

People who are having suicidal thoughts should go to their doctors. These days, almost all depression is treatable, and most is curable.
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Apr 29, 2008, 01:22 PM
    YESSSSSS it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.. Always know that.. think about the poor family that is left behind that have to pick up the pieces.. Everyone should work out their problems and not "give up"... and thinking "it will makes things easier for my family if i just die" is the most incorrect statement ever, it will only cause more pain and turmoil then you can ever imagine.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Yes, it is a selfish thing to do. But some people do it anyway. They will just have to come back in another life and do it all over again unfortunately.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 04:18 PM
    I see it as being selfish because you put your loved ones through the heartache of knowing they will never be able to spend another good time with you. Suicide puts them through emotional grief they do not need. If you have children they often blame themselves.
    Others feel guilty about what they could have, should have and would have done different if they had only known you were having problems to lead to that.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Suicide is selfish if you believe that you are responsible for the well being of all those you affect. All those people left behind are left wondering if there was something they could have done. Is their mourning selfish? Are feelings selfish?

Yet, as involved as we are with others, it is not our job to make them happy, or keep them from dying. We are here to make choices. Some choose to die, this time. Some choose to live, this time. None of them are guilty of exercising their own free will. No, I don't believe it is selfish. It is merely a choice.

But then, I do not believe that there is such a thing as death, there is only change.
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jun 16, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Yes and no.

Suicide is selfish in a way that you are wrecking the lives that surround you and the people that love you.

That you are escaping your life and cheating yourself out of good times and good lessons.

Suicide is not selfish because one cannot be expected to live with unbearable emotional or physical pain.In that case others are selfish.

*Most* of the time however, these feelings can be reversed and released.All you have to do is have hope and try.One may feel that there is no answer and everyone is blind to their pain, but that simply is not true.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 07:45 PM
    My Uncle committed suiced almost 25 years ago, he hung himself in the basement and left his suicide note on his 13 year old daughters bed. Of course in the note he stated where he had hung himself, she ran downstairs in hopes that she could save him, but it was too late. To this day she does not forgive him, either do his other two daughters, and after seeing the pain that those girls went through I don't blame them.

Yes suicide is selfish, it is the most selfish act imaginable. Instead of talking to people about their feelings or seeking help for their depression or problems, they take the easy way out, leaving lasting scars on everyone who loved them for the rest of their lives.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Self-centered and selfish, the ultimate selfish act, just below murdering someone else. For some reason, it seems to be unpredictable.
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Self-centered and selfish, the ultimate selfish act, just below murdering someone else. For some reason, it seems to be unpredictable.
    Unpredictable yes, until the person commits the act, or so it seems. After my Uncle killed himself all of a sudden everyone was remembering things that might have pointed to that outcome. A little to late, but it's not their fault anyway, if the person doesn't ask for help, then how is anyone supposed to help?

Ultimate selfish act, you are so right.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 08:18 PM
    No I don't think it is selfish at all to them, but I can see how loved ones can feel like it is.

I have a cousin that hung himself and one of my dear friends shot himself.
    I believe they were in so much mental anguish and had been in it for so long that they just wanted it to end.

I'm am just so sorry that they suffered like that... did they bring some of the problems to themselves, sure but only they know the things that happened to them that they could not share with anyone. I really hope it is as twinkiedooter says, that some day they will return only this time I hope their life is so much better.
    Pets Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 08:29 PM
    I hope so too Bushg. Thankfully I only ever had the one suicide in my family, and I don't ever want to go through that again.

Bottom line, we all go through bouts of depression, and yes, sometimes it seems hopeless, I've been there, I know. But, and this is a big but, if you get help then more often then not you will be helped and those feelings will no longer be an issue.

OP, I think that now would be a good time to ask why you are asking this question.
    clareybear89 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 3, 2008, 11:27 AM
    In some ways it is
    Suicide isn't the only answer
    I considered it not long ago,cause I felt I couldn't carry on,but with help from the hospital and my gp,they showed me ways of coping and ways people close to you can help,and believe me it has helped me sooo much.
    Just when your down or that just take the time you have to talk to someone and get the help you deserve
    Hope this helps :)
    cuppagogo Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 08:05 AM
    No.

It is because they cannot find the meaning of life, or they cannot deal with the pain deep inside their heart. Also, some people in serious illness, and do not wish their love one worry about paying their high medical expanses, then decide to kill themselves.

Obviously, most of you guys are lucky to live in this society with full of support of relatives and friends. What if for those who doesn't? It's hard, but you got to do what you have to do to make you more comfortable.
    cuppagogo Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Before you go, just make sure, you don't make a big mess for others to clean up. Just write a little notes, that you have decided to end your life, because there are so many troubles that you do not wish to deal with it. It totally come from your own decision and there is no one else for this responsible. And for those who loves you, should be happy for you, because you have found another comfort dimension for yourself. Maybe not everybody agree with it, but at lease you agree and make this choice.

Suicide may not be the only answer, but it is one of the answers. That's why some people choose to do it, and it is in our dictionary.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppagogo
    It's hard, but you got to do what you have to do to make you more comfortable.
    That's just it: "you got to do what you have to do", which is a statement that revolves around "you" or "I", which is selfish, by definition, right? Suicide removes all others, known and unknown, who are (or would be) in a position to help; perhaps many suicides are by people who are not able to reach out.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Generally, I see it as a selfish choice.

The only time I back off is tied to the most extreme situations... a loved one who is dying a painful, prolonged, inevitable death due to illness might choose a "selfish" course, but the justification might ease the blow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Suicide [ 22 Answers ]

Hello: Now don't go getting all soppy on me. I ain't about to cash in my chips any time soon. However, I DO want to be the one who decides when the time is right. Why shouldn't I be able to? I'm talking about doing this when my body tells me it's time, not because I'm depressed. Or,...

On suicide [ 3 Answers ]

Is it normal to from time to time think about death or suicide? With all the problems the world have, do people think and say" is not worth it, might as well get it over with"? I mean we all have our ups and downs

Suicide [ 26 Answers ]

I know that this probably is not the correct fourm for this, but I know that it is a highly answered forum so I hope you don't mind me posting my question here, but I am in desperate need of advice. My friend tried to commit suicide on Thursday night last, she was my best friend for a few years...

Historical Teen Girls Movie- Suicide or Suicide Attempt? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a teen- about 10-15 years ago on Showtime or HBO. I think it took place around WWII, with a teenage girl that befriends a new girl at their school, which I think was an all-girls school. The girls meet with other girls (friends) from the school in the woods behind the...

View more questions Search