Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdykes Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Microwave: Running, but not heating anything up
    I turned on my microwave last night and a loud POP went off. It ran, and continues to function as you would expect with the important exception that it doesn't heat anything up.

I didn't know if there was something like a fuse or something else that may be able to be replaced/fixed w/o having to replace the whole thing.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2008, 12:30 PM
    There is a fuse inside but I would recommend replacing the entire unit if you can find another one. My micro went through a huge storm and when the power spiked inside the house it blew out through the micro plug. It blackened the plug and popped the nightlite across the room. Of course, the micro was fried. I threw it out and haven't gotten another microwave in its place. I've had microwaves since 1974 continuously until last June. I notice that now my joints don't bother me like they did before. Did you know that the accumulated power built up inside a micro is quite impressive even if he micro is not turned on OR plugged in? I didn't. I was reading about how all the accumulated rays stay in your home even when the thing is not in use. About 2 weeks after no micro my joints stopped hurting and the daily headaches I had went away. I am now a firm believer in no micros in my home. I had to learn how to reheat things up on the stove... sniff, sniff. Poor me. Oh well, I got over it.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Apr 30, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Im not sure about the microwave energy hanging around but yours has stopped working just replace it its not worth the time, effort or risk to try to repair it. I will and have worked on just about every appliance in my home but I will not even attempt to repair a microwave that I can probably replace cheaper anyway. GOOD LUCK, AC
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2008, 10:31 PM
    Jdykes - I believe that if you check ,you will find the " PROTRON " tube has blowed and it will no longer work without being replaced .you just as well get ready to take your bank with you to buy one because they are very expensive, Like the others said .bury that one and get a new one if you need one, they do omit a lot of radition, so does color TV. Good luck and GOD BLESS. ::: F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Long Running Heating Unit [ 6 Answers ]

Why would my central heating unit run for one hour straight without cutting off if it has reached the programmed temperature?

Kenmore Microwave not heating [ 1 Answers ]

We just replaced a fan above our stove with a Kenmore microwave. The light and the clock work on the microwave but the microwave does not heat anything. Can the microwave work off any 110 outlet? Thank you, Linda

Luxair furnace running but not heating [ 1 Answers ]

I have a luxair PBLU-LD14N100A the combustion blower runs but the gas will not engage. If I fiddle with the vacuum switches I can get it to fire up for about thirty seconds, then I goes back to where it was. I also get the same result if I pull the hose from the combustion blower (The hose that...

Heat Pump not heating house -fan is running [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Ruud heat pump that is 12-13years old & as of the last few days, it does not seem to be heating the house very well but it has been very cold for this part of the country. It works well when the outside temp is above 50 degrees. It has been in the upper 30's and low 40's. We put on the...

AC/Heating unit stopped running - No power [ 4 Answers ]

My Janitrol AC Heating unit stopped running suddenly. I can neither use the Cool nor Heat (if I switch to either on the thurmostat I hear nothing). The fan doesn't run either when switched to ON. I checked the cirtcuit braker for the AC/Heating using and it was in the ON position, but when I try...

View more questions Search