Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justanswerit Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

May 9, 2008, 06:25 AM
    If you get a summons, answer it!
    Write a letter, take it to the Court or Judge assigned to the Summons and officially File it. DO Not Answer to the Plaintiff!
    Only admit to the possibility of owing a balance. Do not put any dollar amounts or anthing else in writing. Do not admit to anything in writing you do not want to become evidence.
    Just answer the Summons through the Court in the time allowed.
    Next, hire a local attorney to help you out.
    Pick one close to the court house, he is likely friends with the Judge.
    Most collection agencies think you are stupid but if you Just ANSWER They will not get a Judgement! Not letting them get a Judgement is the Most important thing you can do for yourself.
    DmVinny Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 08:58 PM
    Thank you. I do want to write a letter, I just do not know how to word it. =(
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justanswerit
    If you get a summons, answer it!
    Write a letter, take it to the Court or Judge assigned to the Summons and officially File it. DO Not Answer to the Plaintiff!
    Only admit to the possibility of owing a balance. Do not put any dollar amounts or anthing else in writing. Do not admit to anything in writing you do not want to become evidence.
    Just answer the Summons through the Court in the time allowed.
    Next, hire a local attorney to help you out.
    Pick one close to the court house, he is likely friends with the Judge.
    Most collection agencies think you are stupid but if you Just ANSWER They will not get a Judgement! Not letting them get a Judgement is the Most important thing you can do for yourself.

You can't just serve a copy on the Court Clerk - you have to serve a copy on the Plaintiff's Attorney so they can respond.

Never heard the "close to Courthouse" theory before. Interesting at best.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2008, 05:46 AM
    You have gotten good advice before justanswerit despite the confusing nature of your problem. Apparently you haven't taken that advice and consulted an attorney.

It seems you were ordered to go to an arbitration hearing and didn't so an award was made. It sounds like what you got was a notice of this award, not a summons. There may not be any need to answer it as it may just be a notice informing you the award was made and you owe the money.

Your only recourse here seems to be to fight the award on the grounds that you were not informed of the arbitration hearing. But somehow, I doubt that is true, since they seemed to be able to find you OK to send you the notice of the award.

If you think you have a case for non service, then get an attorney to fight it.

May 12, 2008, 08:07 PM
    Understood. But they do wish for me to respond within 20 days, so I am thinking possibly I might have a chance either to determine how this will be settled, or maybe to beat it. So I just need to know how or what to write to them.

May 13, 2008, 07:53 AM
    What EXACTLY does the summons say?
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    What EXACTLY does the summons say?

Don't know how helpful this is but it's not a Summons (from what I can tell) - the Attorney for the creditor has made a Motion to Confirm an Arbitration Award.

The Summons/Complaint days are long gone here -

May 13, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Good Point Judy.

OK what does the Notice say? What exact instructions does it give?

May 14, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Ok the notice says;

A lawsuit has been filed against you. You have 20 calendar days after this summons is served on you to file a written response to the attached complaint with the clerk of court. A phone call will not protect you. Your written response including case number given above and the names of the parties, must be filed if you want the court to hear your side of the case. If you do not file your response on time, you may lose the case, and your wages, money, and property may thereafter be taken without further warning from the court. There are other legal requirements.

If you choose to file a written response yourself, at the same time you file your written response to the court you must mail or take a copy of your written respons to the "Plaintiff/Plaintiff's Attorney" named below.

COMPLAINT: MOTION TO CONFIRM ARBITRATION AWARD

etc.

May 14, 2008, 08:58 AM
    This really doesn't make sense. The verbiage is telling you that a suit has been filed and you need to answer it or a default judgement will be entered. But I don't understand the Arbitration award issue.

So you do have to file a response. Just keep it simple and just state that you Intend to Defend against the suit and request a hearing be scheduled. Send a copy to the plaintiff with a request for verification of the debt.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 05:14 PM
    [QUOTE=DmVinny]Ok the notice says;

A lawsuit has been filed against you. You have 20 calendar days after this summons is served on you to file a written response to the attached complaint with the clerk of court. A phone call will not protect you. Your written response including case number given above and the names of the parties, must be filed if you want the court to hear your side of the case. If you do not file your response on time, you may lose the case, and your wages, money, and property may thereafter be taken without further warning from the court. There are other legal requirements.

If you choose to file a written response yourself, at the same time you file your written response to the court you must mail or take a copy of your written response to the "Plaintiff/Plaintiff's Attorney" named below.

COMPLAINT: MOTION TO CONFIRM ARBITRATION AWARD

This makes no (legal) sense - no sense at all. I know you don't want to involve an Attorney but I have never seen a (bare face) summons served with a Motion to Confirm an Arbitatrion Award.

Motions are one things; summonses are another.

I now understand less than I did.

Nov 10, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Motion for summary final judgment
    Hi, I just received a motion for summary final judgment on a credit debt I had back in 1999 with MBNA (which sold to CACV of Colorado I guess). I would like to reply to them with a motion to vacate summary final judgment but I do not know where to begin, I cannot afford a lawyer and I believe while I am answering them a little late, I have some valid points.

First I asked them to show proof they own the debt, which they supplied, however this proof is a two page paper that says nothing about my account or my name/etc. All it says is that they bought LOANS from said seller.

Secondly, the amount they are trying to collect BEFORE court/lawyer fees is $10,000+ which is over $7,000 more than the debt.

Third, this debt was back in 1999, it is now 2008 and the SOL in Florida is 4 years.

If anyone can provide me with some sort of sample letter or at least how I should write the response I would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you.

Nov 12, 2008, 09:10 PM
    Final Judgment Awarded
    Well, Final Judgment was awarded to the plaintiff, almost 3x the amount I originally owed (damn arbitration). Anyway I still believe this is past SOL and I want to appeal, also I am afraid they will garnish my paychecks will leave me with next to nothing for living since I also pay child support.

How can I appeal? Or workout payment arrangements.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2008, 08:55 AM

You should have brought up the subject of SOL when the suit was filed. It's a little too late to do much about that now. Seems you have had this problem for some months now so this is not a huge surprise to you. The only surprise to you should have been the amount of money awarded. The judge did find that you owed the debt through the suit and ruled on it. You'll just have to get another job to help with your living expenses. Sorry.
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DmVinny View Post
    Well, Final Judgment was awarded to the plaintiff, almost 3x the amount I originally owed (damn arbitration). Anyway I still believe this is past SOL and I want to appeal, also I am afraid they will garnish my paychecks will leave me with next to nothing for living since I also pay child support.

How can I appeal? or workout payment arrangements.

All posts on this subject should be combined - it is difficult to determine what is going on here without past history.

The time to raise a defense (SOL) is at the hearing, not when you lose.

What State and why do you think it's out of Statute? The creditor can use any legal means to collect the debt unless you can come to an agreement which you can both live with. As far as the 3 times the original debt - interest, legal fees, etc. climb very quickly.

Nov 14, 2008, 08:46 AM

I've merged your threads, but I'm confused. Did you not appear at the hearing? Did you not point out to the judge that no documentation of the debt was ever provided? Did you not point out the to judge that SOL had expired?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons for 10 yr old c.c. Debt [ 1 Answers ]

I recently received a summons for (2) credit cards that were charged off in 1998. The total is approx. $3200 and there was no activity on either account for 7 yrs. In 2006 my wife, unknowingly started to make payments on a collection notice sent to us from Asset Acceptance. They had called and...

Summons for Debt [ 2 Answers ]

I have received a summons (the law office taped to my door this morning) in response to a debt from when I was in college from Chase Manhatten Bank. The origonal amount I owed was around $1500 but this was years ago and I've moved several times so now it's @ $3500. The law firm had been calling my...

Summons and Complaint on Old Debt [ 1 Answers ]

I was just served a summons and complaint from one of those collections agencies which have a "legal front" name. I used to work in the legal department of a collections agency, but they still scare me a bit. I have been looking online today and cannot find a format to file a response to the court...

Summons for old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in court for an old credit card debt (I think my last payment was in 2000 or 2001). The SOL in the state in which I resided at the time has expired. How do I prepare myself for court? Or, does the plaintiff have to prove their case? Any help is appreciated! ...

View more questions Search