Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drnr Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2008, 10:28 AM
    To atlanta Tax expert: ITIN for dependent
    Hi,

I am staying in the US on J-1 visa since 2005 onwards, so I assume am a resident alien for the tax purposes.

Last year, 2007 my son joined with me and he was dependent for at least 9 months. He came to the US on J-2 visa status. So, I had applied for ITIN for my son and along with 2007 tax returns. In W-7 form, I had checked box d it says “Dependent of US citizen/resident alien” and in Line 3 filled foreign address as my Indian address and sent to Austin, Texas.

After few weeks got a letter from IRS saying "we rejected your application based on information you provided on W-7, Line 3, Applicant foreign address, indicates that you, a spouse or dependent claimed on a tax return by a primary taxpayer, are a resident of India, and have been granted an F-2, or J-2 or M-2 visa by the USCIS; and therefore, do not qualify for an ITIN".

Could anyone suggest me what to do in this situation, I will greatly appreciate your help.

Raghunath
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 29, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Redundant post; already answered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To atlanta tax expert: resident or nonresident [ 1 Answers ]

I spend 6 years and 4 months in the US on a student visa. ON my SIX year, I filed as a resident alien for taxes. In the seventh year, I spent 4 months, should I file as a resident alien, DUAL status or nonresident alien. My application for immigration is pending and am overseas.

For Atlanta Tax Expert [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, Thanks, again. I will claim my wife's deduction as per your suggestion and will keep her fee receipts, just in case the IRS decides to inquire about. One more question - My wife is an MBA student working towards her credits. We paid around $10000 in 2007. What would be the...

Question to Senior Expert Atlanta [ 1 Answers ]

Does a Not-for-Profit Organization have to pay Income tax or any other kinds of tax? The main concern is Organization but not the employees or employers. But if there are differences, please explain. Thanks for being helpful all the time...

View more questions Search