Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WeightLkoss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Need weight loss tips and support
    I am 22 years old. 5'0 and 140 lbs. I would like to be 125 by the end of June so that gives me... 8 weeks. Is it possible to lose 15 lbs in 8 weeks? Is this a realistic goal?
    I currently have a personal trainer that I will be meeting with once a week and I plan to go to the gym an hour a day for 5 days in the week. What else should I do to help me?
    Thanks for the tips
    amIwrong Posts: 157, Reputation: 16

Apr 29, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Yes! It you want to drop weight do the atkins diet. I lost 40 ibs that way. You can't do that diet forever, it's not healthy. So, then after the atkins do something like southbeach to maintain. Atkins Diet Shopping Grocery List

Maybe after the atkins just incorporate whole grains, less then 50 grams sugar a day, should be good to go. You will drop water first, and fast, so drink a lot of water.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2008, 11:01 PM
    Its pushing it maybe, but cmon... would it not be worth it if you were halfway there by the end of June, with your body primed to lose more?

I honestly think it takes about 6-8 weeks to really get your body primed for strong changes. It takes that long to develop a habit. By the end of 6-8 weeks, you will no longer look at exercise as a task... you'll be wanting it because it makes you feel better.

I'm a fan of balanced eating, not diets... but I've also known friends who have seen success through atkins and then kept weight off with exercise and healthy eating.

Personally, my suggestion is to immediately start with smaller portions and a more balanced meal, if you aren't doing this. In two weeks you can be shocked at how taking 2/3 or less of the food you were eating can satiate you. We use small plates most of the time... make sure you get fruits and veggies at dinner that equals the amount of meat and carbs... again... in a short time you'll want the veggies and fruits, especially fresh. Watch your alcohol.. drop the soda... even diet.. recent research said it can also screw with your metabolism.

While we don't follow atkins, we will do some atkins like things... for ex, a good mid morning snack is a few bites of lean meat with cheese. Sometimes just a bite or two is all you need. Likewise, there are times ill toss off the bread of a sandwich if I can eat the meat and be full without the extra calories.

Late afternoon, a good snack is a handful of nuts... macademias, sunflowers, almonds, cashews... all have good oils and again, just a few can stave off hunger.

As for the workout... walking is good, running is good, jumping rope is torture, climbing stairs is good. Also, mixing up your workout... you want your body to not know what coming next. Go to the library and get some exercise dvds. I do a lot of tae bo and now doing pilates... it bores me, but kicks me arse. Man... its just evil stuff.

Two good things to do if you can... get a workout buddy and workout in the AM. For me, this means getting up at 5-5:30. Its just the ugly truth. But an early workout does several things... it primes your metabolism so that the morning and even lunch calories are burned more efficiently, and it gets the workout done. No putting it off until later. Its just golden to get it done and over. Sometimes you can even get in another workout in the evening... an hour walk can get you 3-4 miles.

And if you can find someone to workout with you, they'll help keep you on track. Having the trainer is a great idea. Write down your goals, your plan, your progress. Nothing like having a list to check off to keep you honest and on track. If its just in your head, you can push it around. If its on paper, you either do it or you choose not to. Write it all down. Even if you have to change things up depending on how things are going.

And don't forget to let your body rest, get good sleep, and stretch. Sleep is really important for balance, especially when you are working hard. Have good shoes for walking/running.

So... just do it. If you lose the weight you want by the time you want, great... its possible, but some people respond slower. The best thing is in 8 weeks you will be on your way there, if not there.

8 weeks of discipline and hard work can do great things. So.. are we starting today?

Write back and talk about your plan, your workout, your progress.
    amIwrong Posts: 157, Reputation: 16

May 1, 2008, 05:08 AM
    I agree, I just meant that if you are in a hurry get weight off that is a way to do it, but not long term, besides there are a lot of health risks associated with such diets for long term use. Long term should be a balanced diet, whole grains, not lots of starch or lots of sugar, lots of water, exercise etc to maintain a healthy body.

Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    its pushing it maybe, but cmon... would it not be worth it if you were halfway there by the end of june, with your body primed to lose more?

i honestly think it takes about 6-8 weeks to really get your body primed for strong changes. it takes that long to develop a habit. by the end of 6-8 weeks, you will no longer look at exercise as a task... youll be wanting it because it makes you feel better.

im a fan of balanced eating, not diets... but ive also known friends who have seen success through atkins and then kept weight off with exercise and healthy eating.

personally, my suggestion is to immediately start with smaller portions and a more balanced meal, if you arent doing this. in two weeks you can be shocked at how taking 2/3 or less of the food you were eating can satiate you. we use small plates most of the time... make sure you get fruits and veggies at dinner that equals the amount of meat and carbs... again... in a short time youll want the veggies and fruits, especially fresh. watch your alcohol.. drop the soda... even diet.. recent research said it can also screw with your metabolism.

while we dont follow atkins, we will do some atkins like things... for ex, a good mid morning snack is a few bites of lean meat with cheese. sometimes just a bite or two is all you need. likewise, there are times ill toss off the bread of a sandwich if i can eat the meat and be full without the extra calories.

late afternoon, a good snack is a handful of nuts... macademias, sunflowers, almonds, cashews... all have good oils and again, just a few can stave off hunger.

as for the workout... walking is good, running is good, jumping rope is torture, climbing stairs is good. also, mixing up your workout... you want your body to not know what coming next. go to the library and get some exercise dvds. i do a lot of tae bo and now doing pilates... it bores me, but kicks me arse. man... its just evil stuff.

two good things to do if you can... get a workout buddy and workout in the AM. for me, this means getting up at 5-5:30. its just the ugly truth. but an early workout does several things... it primes your metabolism so that the morning and even lunch calories are burned more efficiently, and it gets the workout done. no putting it off until later. its just golden to get it done and over. sometimes you can even get in another workout in the evening... an hour walk can get you 3-4 miles.

and if you can find someone to workout with you, theyll help keep you on track. having the trainer is a great idea. write down your goals, your plan, your progress. nothing like having a list to check off to keep you honest and on track. if its just in your head, you can push it around. if its on paper, you either do it or you choose not to. write it all down. even if you have to change things up depending on how things are going.

and dont forget to let your body rest, get good sleep, and stretch. sleep is really important for balance, especially when you are working hard. have good shoes for walking/running.

so... just do it. if you lose the weight you want by the time you want, great... its possible, but some people respond slower. the best thing is in 8 weeks you will be on your way there, if not there.

8 weeks of discipline and hard work can do great things. so.. are we starting today?

write back and talk about your plan, your workout, your progress.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 05:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amIwrong
    I agree, I just meant that if you are in a hurry get weight off that is a way to do it, but not long term, besides there are a lot of health risks associated with such diets for long term use. Long term should be a balanced diet, whole grains, not lots of starch or lots of sugar, lots of water, exercise etc to maintain a healthy body.
    I do agree, I've seen impressive results from those who have coupled atkins with exercise. As the husband of an italian woman, carbs are just in the cards... tho' we do limit more and change things up.

Better to eat a somewhat restricted diet than to starve (which kills metabolism) or try some other dumb fad diet.

Don't remember if I mentioned take a good multivitamin.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Healthy but Effective weight Loss Tips? [ 8 Answers ]

Im Looking for Tips in losing weight and getting Toned With A Period of 5-9 Months I've Tried different Things But loose interest Im 16 and No this isn't a peer Pressure issue Or Trying too Look good For Anyone but Myself :) But I'm Not too active and want too be more healthy Does anyone Know...

Weight loss tips during the Holidays? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, and happy Holidays! Well, Since it is the holiday season, I dotn want to pork up,so portion cotnrol! But! I would like to lose 10 pounds. Now I am at a good body weight, I am average but I would just feel better knowing I got rid of an extra 10 pounds :)> Does anyone have some...

What are good quick weight loss tips [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Everyone... OK, here's the thing. One of my best friends and I are throwing our birthday parties together on Apr.14th. I'm not fat nor am I skinny. I'm what I like to call thick but I have these "luv handles" that I want to get rid of asap. Can somebody, anybody please tell me a good healthy...

Dramatic weight loss produces saggy skin: any tips? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was overweight ever since I was a young girl, and eventually went up to 200 pounds by the time I was 18. Before I turned 19 though I joined a gym and changed my eating habits and was able to lose 70 pounds, but I'm still left with seriously unsightly and cumbersome saggy skin on my belly and...

View more questions Search