Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kellie_h20 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Apr 29, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Algebra 3 Linear Functions
    I am a junior in high school and I am having the hardest time with ALGEBRA 3! I didn't even take Algebra 2 and I failed ALgebra 1 the first time! I am doing online schooling at this time and it is really hard without someone explaining it to me...

We are doing Linear Functions and I do not understand how to tell if a table represents a linear function or not can someone please explain this to me??

Thank you so much!

♥♥Kellie♥♥
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2008, 08:10 AM
    A linear function is a function in which has a constant rate of change, in this case, a constant slope.

So if the table represents a constant slope throughout, then you have a linear function.

What I'm worried about is that you're taking algebra 3 when you should have retaken algebra 1...

Wish you the best.
    alamleh Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Apr 29, 2008, 10:08 AM
    To recognize a linear function from a table of data with two columns x and y is that:
    for the same increaments of x you get a constant increament in y ( i.e. take x1=2,y1=10,
    x2=3,y2=15 , here x changes by 1 and y changes by 5. now if x3=8 and x4=9 x changes by 1 then y4-y3 should be 5 as well
    as an equation, linear function has the form y^1=constant * x^1 + another constant
    alamleh Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Apr 29, 2008, 10:18 AM
    sometimes to understand a linear function you nead to know nonlinear functions:
    look at y=2^x +5
    when x changes from 2 to 3 ( i.e. xchanges by 1), y changes from 9 to 13 (y changes by 4
    when x changes from 10 to 11 (i.e xchanges by 1) but y changes from 1029 to 2053, ( y changes by 1024)
    this is the exponential function.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advanced linear algebra [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone remember solving systems of equations using Gauss-Jordon Elimination Process? Example: 2x+y+z-2w+1 3x-2y+z-6w+-2 :confused:

Linear functions [ 2 Answers ]

find the 2 equations of lines 1 and 2 as shown on the graph(the picture).. the 4 numbers on the graph are 5(top-most number on the y-axis), -5 (left number on the x-axis), 5 (right number on the x-axis), -5(bottom number on the y-axis).. I'm just saying this because the numbers on the picture are...

Algebra Functions [ 1 Answers ]

I am having the most difficult time learning this one. I don't understand how to solve f(x). I have the equation I have the equation that goes like this, let f(x)=-1/3x + 8 ------------ 4 That's the equation, and now it wants to know

Algebra of Functions [ 1 Answers ]

Please help! How would I solve for the following: If s = u(t) = -2t^2 + 2t +1, and t = v(x) = 3x - 1, determine each of the following. u(v(x))

Algebra of functions [ 1 Answers ]

#1 Given f(x)-x^2-4 and g(x)=2x-1 how would you determine the value of (f+g)(3) and (f/g)(-1)? #2 If f(x)=x+2 and g(x)=x how would you find the value or values for which (fg)(x)=8? Thank you.

View more questions Search