Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JJRam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2008, 05:53 AM
    GFCI breaker w/ 2-wire outlet
    Will a GFCI breaker in the service panel protect a branch circuit without a ground wire? I recently installed a 20a GFCI breaker in my daughter's older home to protect three duplex receptacles - two in the kitchen and one outside the back door. I then discovered that the outlet outside is only a 2-wire circuit - no ground wire. Is that receptacle still protected? Since the breaker protects against a "ground fault", my gut says yes (since the absence of a ground wire, in affect, results in a ground fault) but thought I should seek more advice.
    I realize that installing a ground wire to that receptacle is untimately the best solution anyway, and I am planning to do so on my next visit - I just wondered if she is protected in the mean-time.
    Thanks
    Jeff
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 29, 2008, 08:51 AM
    The term "ground fault" is kind of misleading.
    A GFI will most certainly work without a circuit ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Replacing GFCI Breaker With A Regular Breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp circuit serving only a single outlet on my deck. It is protected by a GFCI circuit breaker in the home's single 125 amp service panel. I wish to replace the GFCI breaker with a regular 15 amp GE breaker. I will then protect the circuit with a GFCI outlet. I am familiar with...

GFCI Outlet and Related Circuit Breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 15 amp GFCI outlet that is connected to a 15 amp outside breaker. When using electrical items on the circuit, my outside breaker is tripping without the inside GFCI breakers tripping. I am wondering whether the outside breaker is faulty or should be 20 amps. It doesn't make sense to me...

Gfci outlet [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have installed a small pond. I called an electrician to put a GFCI outlet near the pond. He told me I could save a significant amount of money if I dig the trench for the line. Well... I had called Miss Utility before digging the hole for the pond and there is a Cox Cable line that...

How to wire an 15amp dedicated outlet from breaker panel to kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

I need to put a 15 amp outlet that has its own breaker in my kitchen above the cabinets or in cab over oven. This is for a microwave oven. Thanks in advance for any help!

View more questions Search