Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rishi123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 10:01 PM
    J1 visa have HRR Waiver/ applicable to H1B cap
    I am currently here on a J1 visa. Had a two year home residency requirement but got the waiver approved. I have applied for a H1B visa on 1 April 2008. Want to check if I am applicable to the H1 B cap.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 11:11 PM
    Normally J-1 waivered physician is always exempt from the cap.. please verify with your attorney.
    mamtalokesh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rishi123 View Post
    I am currently here on a J1 visa. Had a two year home residency requirement but got the waiver approved. I have applied for a H1B visa on 1 april 2008. Want to check if I am applicable to the H1 B cap.
    Hi Rishi,

I am currently on J1 visa and on 2 yrs HRR. Please let me know the procedure you followed to get the waiver. That will be very helpful as I am also planning to apply for waiver. Please also explain the rectrictions , if any, once we get the waiver. I heard that once we apply for waiver we loose the J1 status also. Please clarify.

Thanks a lot,
    Mamta
    Rishi123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Hi mamta,

It will take about three months to get waivers from your home country and about five months for the whole procedure. You will need to go to the nearest Indian embassy and ask them the procedure for the waiver. You need to get approvals from three different departments in your home country. You basically need to get a NORI ( no obligation to return to India ).

You can apply for H1B as soon as you get a waiver. As far as what my attorney told me I was not applicable to the cap. PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK. He told me applicants who have 2 yr HRR are not applicable to the cap.
    But in my case I applied in April and my case was considered under the cap.

You do not loose J1 Status till the last day of your training date unless you transfer to another type of visa during the period e.g. H1B or L1 etc.

Let me know if you need anything else
    bertarqtec Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2011, 01:55 PM
    Hello, I am a J1 and want to transfer to a H1, but I don't know if I am applicable to the cap. I'm engineer. Can anybody answer me please?
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Dec 9, 2011, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bertarqtec View Post
    Hello, I am a J1 and want to transfer to a H1, but I don't know if I am applicable to the cap. I'm engineer. Can anybody answer me please?
    The last post in this thread was about 3 years ago. If you have a question, you can post it as a new question. I'm sure you will get a response. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visa waiver overstayer [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a british citizen who entered the states on a visa waiver in October 2001. I have overstayed, and have been in the states ever since,I have been here for 6 years now. How can I get legal in the u.s ? I have not in any trouble with the law since I have been here. My only friends and...

Taxes applicable to J1 holders [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of taxes for applicable for j1 visa holders? What is FICA taxes? Wheather it is applicable to J1 holders? What are the tax exemptions j1 holders?

Taxes applicable to L1 Visa Category [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Friends, I'm planninng to come to California by Mid February 2008 on a L1 Visa category with my wife and 3 1/2 years old daughter. In order to plan my expences would like to know the following from my helpful friends in this community. 1. What are the taxes that I will have to pay...

Taxes applicable for CPT (F-1) [ 5 Answers ]

hey , I am working for a company in Connecticut and I am getting paid 57,000 /yr = $4750 /month Now, how much tax will I have to pay per month ? And I saw somewhere that there will be difference in first and later paychecks, Is it true ? Should I ask my employer to deduct the tax OR I...

F1+OPT - applicable taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India and just graduated from college and am on F1 with an OPT now. I work for a company in California paying me 55k annually and I am likely to make another 8k-10k on overtime. I know that I do not need to pay medicare and social security while on F1. What are the other deductions...

View more questions Search