Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Percheron Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Basement shower drain vent??
    I am installing a basement shower which was stubbed when the floor was poured.

A P trap is in the floor about 3' from the main horizontal sanitary line which goes out to the septic. I can see no vent lines and wonder if I need to vent the shower.

If I do need to vent it, the vent needs to be between the trap and the sanitary line, correct? I also have no vent for the sink which was also stubbed in.
    If I need to vent these two appliances, may I vent up and out through a 2 in line terminating under a deck or do I need to tie into the attic stack?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 18, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Hi Dave,

Let's not get hasty. Are there any other vented fixtures in the basement. Utility sink? Washer? If there is then the shower's probably wet-vented back to the drain of one of them. As a rule we wet vent our tub and shower rough ins. If there isn't any way to wet vent it then we stub up a vent so the home owner doesn't have to break up cement. Let me know. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Shower Drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to install a shower in my basement over an existing floor drain. What is the preferred method of connecting the shower drain to the floor drain? The drains may or may not line up. I am planning on buying one of those one-piece shower stalls from a big-box store. Also, is there some...

Shower & toilet drain/vent [ 2 Answers ]

I'm finishing the basement and have to add a bath tub as well as a toilet. My plan is to have a horizontal 3" tee, one side going to the toilet (about 16"), the second side to a 1 1/2" reducer which leads to the tub (about 24") and the third side ties directly into the main (vertical) 3" stack. Is...

New Basement Bathroom - Drain and Vent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We would like to install a new bathroom (well, half bath = sink + toilet) in our basement. Currently, there is a toilet down there, sitting on a cast iron wye off the main sewer line for the house. We want to move the toilet by approx. 8 feet. The final position would be directly above...

Shower drain in basement [ 8 Answers ]

I bought a one-piece Lasco shower enclosure as part of finishing the basement bathroom. The PVC drain is plumbed in and sticks up about 6" out of the floor. There is also a large diameter black corrugated "hose" around it (I guess for when they poured the concrete floor around it.) I can cut this...

Basement shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a basement shower drain which is cast iron embedded in concrete. Since the top of the drain was cut off at the top of the concrete, I have been chipping away at the concrete around the drain to use an Oakley adapter which fits around the outside of the pipe. The adapter then uses a key to...

View more questions Search