Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mnlbown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Surging briggs
    I have a sears 17hp briggs&stratton which will not run a constant speed, it surgers up an down. What can I do to correct this problem?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Check air filter, adjust carb. clean carb. check fuel quality for contaminants.
    phavas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 05:28 PM

Same problem with a 20HP. Believe it is the governor springs. If yoiu'vce cleaned the carb make sure the linkage is back the same way it came off: not upside down or hooked in the wrong way.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 06:34 PM

Hi,
    It is not a bad governor spring! That is possible, but so unlikely as to boggle the mind. Just does not happen; dirty low speed circuit is the problem.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Surging [ 11 Answers ]

My upstairs bathroom toilet sounds like it is surging on a regular basis. The water level is appropriate. Why is it doing this and how can I make it stop?

93 Honda Civic Surging [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 93 honda civic and it surges when I start it, and I left it run for about an hour and drove it and everything and it still does it, even when I am driving it it jumps sum times.. the speedometer also jumps around, I've tried 3 different computers and a peace the goes on the air intake...

Surging when warm [ 4 Answers ]

I've got a 94 integra and when it gets warm it starts surging. I've replaced the iacv(calmed it down but did not get rid of it), checked vac lines, reset the idle, don't have a fitv, Coolant is good and bleed/full, and it's a new ecm. This problem has been with the car for some time now. I've had...

Civic surging [ 1 Answers ]

Well I just put a different engine into my 91 civic dx I just swaped all of the bolt on thing distributer alt. the intake manafold and it starts but when it idels it surges really bad don't know what it is

View more questions Search