Apr 28, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Plastic flange to lead pipe
    How do you connect a plastic flange to lead pipe and keep it from moving
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nancy rieder
    how do you connect a plastic flange to lead pipe and keep it from moving
    You don't and why would you wish to? A flange does not stop leaks, it simply secures the bowl to the floor. The best advice would be to remove all the lead pipes back to the cast iron and convert to PVC.
    Forget the flange! Let me tell you how we set toilets on lead closet bends back in the old days before flanges.
    Toss the flange and flare out the lead around the hole. Now set the bowl over the open hole and mark the holes where the closet bolts will go. Purchase two screw type closet bolts, (see image) and install them in the holes you have marked. (You have just substituted a closet flange). At the same time you pick up the closet bolts get a wax seal with a funnel. You may now set the toilet in the usual way. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plastic flange to lead pipe [ 7 Answers ]

How do you connect a plastic flange to lead pipe and keep it from moving

Replacing a brass closet flange on a lead pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, so I'm renovating my bathroom and running into some issues with the old plumbing. Here is a link to some pictures of the situation which will do a much better job at describing things than I can. Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan - plumbing Obviously the ideal situation would be to...

Oakum and Plastic or Lead with Cast Iron [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone used plastic filler with Oakum in cast iron joints? I would like to know your opinion on using plastic, and if you like it, what name or brand have you used? Thank you. J

1930 toilet flange / lead pipe problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a home that was built in the 1930s. I have a problem with the toilet on my first floor. When the water supply to the toilet is on water leaks through the floor to the basement below. Here are some random facts: The floor in the bathroom is original tile. The floor doesn't appear to be...

Offset closet flange, lead soil pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I've reviewed a bunch of questions/answers on this forum and have some ideas, but my problem is pretty specific, so I figured I'd describe it and hope for the best. (BTW, I'm totally impressed with the quality of responses on this forum!) Re-doing a half-bath, but did not plan ahead too well,...

View more questions Search