Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hedenem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Lawnmower won't start
    My John Deere Riding mower has been sitting all winter. Now it won't start. Help?
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Apr 28, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Most likely a dumb question does it have gas in it ? Is it getting a spark to the plug ? How was it stored for winter was gas left in it all winter? Back to you. AC
    cleanfun Posts: 26, Reputation: 10

Apr 28, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Pull the plug(s) and clean them.

While the plugs are out, put about half a teaspoon of oil down into each of the holes where the plugs go. Also put a small amount of fuel down there too.

Replace the plugs and then just keep cranking it over until she fires proper.

Edit:
    I guess I should post a source for those individuals who aren't mechanics by trade...

Step 2 at Do It Yourself
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Why in the world would you want to put oil in the plug hole. There is only one reason to do that and that's for part of a compression test.

You must check for fuel, spark and air.

Spark = Yes/No? Replace and gap plug.
    Air - Temporarily remove air cleaner
    then...
    Fuel - A little harder. But the first step is to remove plug. Place some carb cleaner in the spark plug hole. Attempt to start. See if the engine sputters at least once.

Results will dictate next steps.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 12:18 PM
    I agree with KISS, do not pour oil in your cylinder. I use Sea Foam as a carb cleaner and just about everything else on a mower, you can mix it in the oil, in the gas or dump it down the throat of the carb while running. Make sure you drain your old gas and start with fresh gas. Spray a small amount of cold weather starting mixture down the carb as you crank.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Remove the carb bowl and inspect. Looking for gum, trash, or water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawnmower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I was mowing my lawn yesterday, after it had rained the night before, so I had to stop several times to clean off the blades, but it was running fine. Then in the middle of mowing it stopped and I couldn't start it back up. I went back later and tried to prime and start it, but it doesn't seem to...

Lawnmower will not start [ 1 Answers ]

I was having to replace the blade adapter on my lawnmower as the old one would vibrate the blade loose. I tipped the lawnmower up on its side and struggled to get the old blade adapter off. After I got it off so I could go get a replacement , I thought to myself that I had heard somebody say...

Lawnmower won't start [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman 30" riding lawnmower and it will not start. Gas is OK but I have checked for spark and can't see any. I tried to start it, it fired once and now won't fire. Any ideas?

Lawnmower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have tried for two weekends to get my Toro Lawnmower (3 yrs. Old) to start with no luck. Last week, the pull string broke and I have replaced that as well as the spark plug. Anything else?

View more questions Search