Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gag953 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 08:48 AM
    Drain into septic system clogged.
    My problem is as follows:

There are two four-piece bathrooms in my house. The secondary toilet (an American Standard low flush toilet) is the problem one. About a week ago, it started to bubble up when the primary toilet was flushed. Then about four days ago the toilet would not flush properly.

When I flushed the toilet it would not drain and this allowed the water in the tank to come into the bowel without the water in the bowel draining off into the septic system. It would almost overflow the toilet. If I plunged the toilet, it would drain very slowly. If I left it, it would drain over a one-hour period.

This is what I have done so far to try to resolve the problem:

1. Pumped the septic system (this was only done last year)
    2. Took the toilet off it’s mount and put a snake through it. All clear.
    3. Used liquid plumber down the toilet drain and let it sit over night then I flushed it through. Still clogged.
    4. Checked the vents on the roof for obstructions. None found.
    5. Used a compressed air system called “The One Second Plumber”. This did not work.

Last night I flushed the primary bathroom and it made coughing noises after it flushed and then we could hear loud draining and “tapping” noises in the kitchen sink. I checked the secondary toilet and the bowl was nearly empty and the water was moving in time to the noise in the kitchen sink.

Can someone tell me how to proceed from here?
    cleanfun Posts: 26, Reputation: 10

Apr 28, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Sounds like your clean-out isn't sealed properly with a cover.

Vacuum plays a big role in proper drain systems. It's like a giant siphon and if that clean-out isn't covered then air will rush in and start making a knocking sound in your pipes, as well as the draining problem you described.

Should be able to get a cover & a large hose clamp from your hardware store for under $10.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 09:29 AM
    When you checked your vent did you rod it from the roof to the basement and 15' more or just look down the pipe. I think you have a clogged stack.
    gag953 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 01:53 PM
    :confused: I stuck a broom handle down for about three feet.

Should I buy a snake and snake it down all the way to the crawl space?
    If there is something down the pipe, how do I clean it out?

Garry
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 03:33 PM
    You can't check a vent with a broom handle. You need to borrow, buy, rent a 1/2" rod long enough to reach roof top to crawl space floor and then 20" more. The rod does the cleaning for you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gag953
    :confused: I stuck a broom handle down for about three feet.

Should I buy a snake and snake it down all the way to the crawl space?
    If there is something down the pipe, how do I clean it out?

Garry
    Hey Garry,
    Bob's right! You need to rent a sewer machine, (see image). Drop the snake down the vent to the base and put out 20 feet more. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tubs won't drain, toliets backed up, potty smell near septic system outside & in [ 2 Answers ]

Tub in master bath was slow draining last night and then this morning toliets in both baths backed up. Dirty water in both tubs now. No problem in other sinks in house. We don't have garbage disposal or dishwasher. House uses airstream septic system....about 6 yrs old. Pumped out 2 yrs ago. ...

Clogged Vent or Septic? [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone able to give me a hand with this one?? In my basement, the main septic line enters our house about 4 feet off the floor. Right next to that there is a "drain" for what used to be our laundry room (we have since moved it upstairs). For a couple months now, and only at certain times, when we...

Copper sink drain too slow, not clogged which type drain is best [ 2 Answers ]

We just refinished bathroom with double vanity copper sinks. They have a flat grid drain in the bottom, not vented. Is there a different drain that would allow the water to drain easier? We have to swirl water or stir water to get it to begin draining, like there is a suction...

Bathroom Sink - Clogged Drain/AC Drain [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bathroom on the second floor that we never use. Two days ago we noticed that water was leaking out from under the carpet and the bathroom sink was filled with water and not draining. The AC condensation drain runs down this drain right above the trap. We took the trap off and snaked the...

Septic system [ 5 Answers ]

How do you tell if a septic system is dead. And if so How do you correct the problem?

View more questions Search