Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jaimegonz318 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 07:53 AM
    California private party used car sale law
    I just purchased a 2001 Blazer in Gilroy California , test drove it,it was fine, and a week later picked it up and it over heated 5 minutes into my drive home.I checked the coolant levels and it was empty,filled the cooling system up again ,and made it home. The next day it overheated again.I feel that the overheating condition was pre-existing and the selling party didn't disclose this.What is my legal recourse? I have had it for 2 days and don't want to keep it if at all possible.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 28, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Generally a private party sale is As Is. If you believe the seller hid a problem (didn't you have it checked by your mechanic?) you can try suing for the cost of repairs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 08:08 AM
    What is the problem, it may be as simple as a bad radiator hose.

But with any used car sale, it is the buyers responsibility to have it checked out by an independent mechanic.

Since you don't seem to know the problem, if it is losing fluid, there is a leak somewhere and normally this is a minor issue. ( hose, water pump, bad radiator cap.) So first find out what is wrong, since you can't claim they would have know about it, unless you find the problem first.

Next what does the paperwork say, was there a warranty or was the sale "as is"

Even if the seller is liable, they may only be liable to the cost for the repair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I serve Alcohol Beverages at a Private Party [ 4 Answers ]

I am thinking of having a private party in which I would like to serve Alcohol beverages. Can anyone tell me how I can do so without a liquor license? It will not be a cash bar, however, there will be a bar and a charge at the door to enter.

Used Car Case - Private Party [ 6 Answers ]

I stay in California and I had bought the car just 2 months ago from a private party . The car needed some repairs ( Cold start problem ) and after I bought the car , the mechanic fixed the problem by placing some part in a tank overnight to clean it up and did some tuning on the car . Now I had...

Selling our house via Private Party [ 8 Answers ]

Can any one offer advice on selling our inherited house via private party? Me and three siblings have been offered a good price by our neighbor. We haven't the slightest idea what steps to take at this point... other than lining up an escrow agent. Do we write a seller/buyer agreement? Do we...

California private party used car law [ 2 Answers ]

When buying a used car in California, does the buyer have any recourse if the car renders inoperative within 90 days of purchase and there is no written contract.

Selling/buying a car to/from a private party [ 3 Answers ]

I really appreciate if anybody can help me by answering the following... 1) When you sell a car to a private party, what do you need to do? > a)Do you just need to sign on the title and give it to the buyer? > b)Do you need to go to a office to cancel the registration/tag/license plate? >...

View more questions Search