Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Apr 28, 2008, 04:39 AM
    Paint over ultrathane
    Hello,

I was trying to see if anyone here may have painted over ultrathane before. We have a project where several items are prepainted with ultrathane and we need to paint over it. The ultrarthane is textured like a rhino lining in a truck bed. Any paint recommendations, etc...

Thanks
    Chris
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2008, 06:59 AM
    There is a flexible surface additive that must be used. This additive is commonly used when painting flexible bumpers. See an auto paint supply store.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 07:29 AM
    I'd sure like some more details regarding exactly what this project is and how/why it was done with poly. You can paint over poly but you must scuff or etch the surface. Was the poly solvent based or water based?

Apr 29, 2008, 04:36 PM
    It is actually speakers by Yorkville. They come factory painted in black ultrthane. The surface is already like a non-skid/rhino lining in a truck bed. We have to paint them white to match our facility.

Thanks
    Chris
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 29, 2008, 05:11 PM
    I assume you know what you are talking about since they are sitting right in front of you. My Peavy speakers are actually covered with a vinyl material that also looks Rhino. I think you can paint but try to stick with a urathane paaint, maybe prime with Zinsser 123 Bullseye

Apr 30, 2008, 10:15 AM
    We had BEnjamin Moore PAints recommend their Industrial Maintenance Paint to go over this. It has a built in primer to help it set better... Supposedly... I guess time will tell.

Thanks
    Chris

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much paint for whole interior of house? [ 10 Answers ]

I am going to paint the inside of my house. It is 2800 feet. How much paint should I buy and how do I figure it out. I am also painting the ceiling. After that I will try to tackle the exterior. Please Help Guardmom

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

Ceiling paint [ 2 Answers ]

We have painted our kitchen ceiling many times. About 9 months after painting the ceiling, we can notice dark spots. The spots are where the nails are (THE SPOTS ARE NOT NAIL POPS). You can also see where the studs are at. How do we cover this once and for all? Will a darker ceiling paint...

Which Is Better Paint? [ 3 Answers ]

Which Is Better Paint Dunn Edwards Or Frazee In General Or Overall For Interior Painting?

To paint or not to paint [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving into a new home here in the next few months and the basement will be not finished. I want to do a couple of rooms down there, so how do I prepare the floors, do I paint them with that green paint for basement concrete floors or do I prep it with plywood or paint and then place...

View more questions Search