Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peterzero Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 02:56 AM
    Very complicated situation.
    I am a F1 International Student and I've been here 6 years. I work on campus and every year I file 1040NREZ and so did this year.

Then I realize that I am considered resident alien and should file 1040 instead. The mind bugging thing is that if I had filed 1040, I could have been eligible to receive the $600 economy stimulus check!

1. Well my first question is: Is it still possible to refile 1040? Using 1040x or something else? Will I still be eligible for the stimulus check?

And that is not it...

Now I also find that on my 2007 W-2 there is no SS wages and medicare, apparently my school had failed to include those on my 6th year and I obviously had failed to notify them as well...

2. So my second question is, if now I file 1040x or something like that, how do I repay the SSW and Medicare? And what else could happen?

I know this is kind of messed up... if you know anything just drop some lines, thank you in advance!

Peter
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 04:40 AM
    1. After 5-years on F1, you must file resident tax return. So you should file Form 1040X with properly done resident tax return Form 1040EZ or 1040A or 1040; and write amended on the top of the form.

2. About FICA taxes, you need not worry. According to a recent IRS news, even if you file resident return, you are exempt from FICA taxes.
    Read this: Social Security Tax / Medicare Tax and Self-Employment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Complicated (at least to me) tax situation [ 1 Answers ]

Here’s the situation, created by equal parts fear, confusion and ignorance. In 1999 got married to a Norwegian citizen and moved to Norway. I didn’t file taxes for that year (I just forgot. I am not even sure about the year before, since I have this weird “form phobia” that it takes me forever...

Very complicated situation, please help! [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I became an independent contractor of a financial company in May, 2004 while I was still on my F-1. But I did not make any income with them until late 2004, when I already changed my status to OPT. Then in February 2005, I found a full-time job and stopped working at...

Complicated tax situation (claiming dependants and ITIN related) [ 18 Answers ]

Hi. I came to the United States in September 2004, on a R-1 (religious worker) visa. My wife is also here, on a R-2 visa, and as per her visa requirements, she doesn't have any US income source. I have a SSN, but my wife doesn't and she is not allowed to have one either (I guess she could apply...

Complicated Tax Situation(Advice Needed) [ 5 Answers ]

To tax experts I have a complicated tax situation, I am working on OPT for a company since may 2005, I got married in September and my wife came to america on dependent F-2 visa, She got her L-1 approved recently and she has started working for a company since dec 15th. I am really...

Complicated situation [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir, I have a friend of mine who was here on h1B visa before 3 yrs due to slow down in computer field he was not employed and did not pay any taxes, He is now working and his employer is going to pay all the taxes,Is this going to be problem for him since no tax was reported to IRS before....

View more questions Search