Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duke31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Statutory rape
    I live in Tennessee, and would love to get some help here. Does anyone know if someone is the age of 18 and does not live at home but is still in high school are they still considered a minor? And also, If a female gets pregnant at the age of 17, but is now 18, by a male that is the age of 29, can her parents still file statutory rape even if they are together and the girl does not want to press charges?
    Izannah Posts: 125, Reputation: 18

Apr 27, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Depends on the age of majority in Tennessee. Most states it's 18, here in Nebraska it is 19. If she is emancipated, she may have more leeway, but you would have a hell of an argument that it was okay for an adult male to sleep with an underage female, regardless of the situation. As for the parent's pressing charges, they can do so if they wish whether the girl wants them to or not, if the girl was considered a minor when the act occurred it is still illegal. The baby is just the proof that will close the cell door.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Here is the law:

(a) Statutory rape is sexual penetration of a victim by the defendant or of the defendant by the victim when the victim is at least thirteen (13) but less than eighteen (18) years of age and the defendant is at least four (4) years older than the victim.
    (b) If the person accused of statutory rape is under eighteen (18) years of age, such a defendant shall be tried as a juvenile and shall not be transferred for trial as an adult.

(c) Statutory rape is a Class E felony. 39-13-507.

It would appear that anyone can report the statutory rape; it does not have to be the female. In fact, health care givers are "encouraged" to report it but it is not a mandate as it is in other States. Present ages do not seem to matter - the law is based on the ages at the time of the statutory rape.

I'm sure you are going to get a speech from someone along the line here but that having been said I would be VERY unhappy if my 17 year old daughter were involved with - and pregnant by - a 29 year old man.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Yes your parents can report this to the police, and it does not matter what you think or want, since you had sex when you were a minor ( the child will be proof of that)

So yes, if your parents so desire they can have him in prison and labeled a sex offender.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statutory rape [ 9 Answers ]

Help!! I had a baby at the young age of 14. The father of my child was 18. I am currently 22 now and Would like to press statutory rape but am not sure what the Florida laws are. Can anyone help?

Statutory rape [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out what the statue of limitations for statutory rape is in NC. This is very important to me, because this man persuaded my mother to sign over property in which my father left to me upon his death. I think he should give me my property back and pay for what he did to me when I...

Statutory rape [ 6 Answers ]

If you have a girlfriend that lives in Alberta canada and she is 16, and you have a son that lives in the US and is 18 and something happends is that considered statutory rape??

Statutory rape [ 10 Answers ]

I was raped 3 1/2 yrs ago and have a child as a result. I was to terrified to say anything at the time being 17 yrs old myself. The rapist was 21. How long do I have to report this? My husband and I don't want this guy to get away with this. Any help?

Statutory Rape? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know the laws in Florida? Can a 16 year old girl be charged of statutory rape by the parents of a 14 year old boy? Please help me. This is very important.

View more questions Search