Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Apr 27, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Parking Ticket
    I parked in the MIDDLE of a street. The sign said no parking Mon-Fri 8-6pm, it was
    Saturday.
    I got a ticket for $165.00.
    The ticket said I was blocking a pedestrian ramp. I looked on the other side of my
    Car and there was a indented section, but there were no signs for me to know this.
    It was not until I found the ticket on my car that I looked on the other side. There
    Was a faded yellow line on the curb... but when you're in the middle of the block,
    Who ever heard of a pedestrial ramp. It wasn't a ramp. Just an area, about
    Two feet wide that was slanted instead of being a curb. I plan to fight this. Am I
    Wrong?

I think this is a rip off. This is a high tourist area (Greenwich Village) and I'm
    Sure anyone from out of town is also getting trapped like this.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23
    I parked in the MIDDLE of a street. The sign said no parking Mon-Fri 8-6pm, it was
    Saturday.
    I got a ticket for $165.00.
    The ticket said I was blocking a pedestrian ramp. I looked on the other side of my
    car and there was a indented section, but there were no signs for me to know this.
    It was not until I found the ticket on my car that I looked on the other side. There
    was a faded yellow line on the curb....but when you're in the middle of the block,
    who ever heard of a pedestrial ramp. It wasn't a ramp. Just an area, about
    two feet wide that was slanted instead of being a curb. I plan to fight this. Am I
    wrong?

I think this is a rip off. This is a high tourist area (Greenwich Village) and I'm
    sure anyone from out of town is also getting trapped like this.

I would think you mean the middle of the block, not the middle of the street - ?

The "slanted" walks in the middle of the block are very common where I live - particularly when there's a distance between cross streets.

So go and fight it - the Judge can decide whether it was properly marked or not. I think Winter has wiped away a lot of the road markings and there hasn't been time for repainting so the Judge will have to review your photos and see if you should have known.

Apr 27, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Thank you for getting back to me.
    mike4671 Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Apr 27, 2008, 02:48 PM
    Sounds like it might also be for handicap or just pedestrian access -- are blocks far apart? --- if yellow painted curb is faded --- that would get ticket dismissed --- I am in law enforcement and you have good case to fight --- good luck -- only need a little doubt to win
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Take a picture of this area from several angles and see what the judge says when you present the photos in court. You could possibly win. Also be sure to take photos of the curb area showing the lack of signage indicating it is a pedestrian ramp.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Frankly, I think you will lose. A curb cur is placed on a sidewalk for a reason. It doesn't have to be marked by any signage or painting. Just the fact that the curb is cut and slanted is sufficient to indicate it shouldn't be blocked.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 07:57 PM
    Pay it, been there done that,

May 22, 2008, 09:16 PM
    I spent $7.50 in photos as the judge asked... it cost me another $4.00 in bus fare
    And two days lost and then I got a judge who didn't even want to look at the
    Photos. I paid the $165
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 23, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23
    I spent $7.50 in photos as the judge asked....it cost me another $4.00 in bus fare
    and two days lost and then I got a judge who didn't even want to look at the
    photos. I paid the $165

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how it worked out - sometimes you just don't have a fighting chance!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 23, 2008, 07:22 AM
    I fought a parking ticket, but it cost more money than it was worth.

I actually got someone from the City to take a look at the particular area and he wrote me a letter that the markings were misleading. It wasn't a court setting, but I was asked a bunch of questions and then handed the examiner the letter and the fine went away.

Just time off from work, parking etc. was more than the ticket was worth and I was from another state.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Sorry it didn't work out. It sounded like you had a good defense. I find it irritating when the judge won't evaluate all available information. $165 plus all your other expenses? Ouch!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ticket for parking in handicap zone? [ 11 Answers ]

1. You are just turning into the handicap spot. You are backing up and the police blocks you. He gives you a ticket for parking in the handicap zone. 2. You have not parked. You are just picking up someone for 1 minute. As you are backing up the police blocks you and gives you a ticket. Does...

Wrong offense and court date written on parking ticket [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Bergen County, New Jersey. On Friday morning, 05/04/07, I dropped off my kid at the school at the usual spot and got pull over by an officer for a parking violation although I only stopped for about 1 minute. A lot of people also got issued a parking tickets yesterday morning...

Parking ticket?  HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

I sold a car on 02-04-2001 and it keeps coming back a costing me money. I was just sent a parking ticket bill that was giving to the car on 04-01-2001, 2 months after I sold it. I sent in a "lelease of liability" to the DMV when I sold it but it wasent recorded. Now I get a bill for $250 for a...

View more questions Search