Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kennith7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Garnishment in a different county
    I owe back sales taxes in Georgia from a previous business that closed 12+yrs ago. I live in one county where the state filed the levy looking for bank accounts. They recently filed a garnishment in the same county that I live against my employer. The problem is that my employer is in another county. The physical job is in the other county. My employer has no offices or employes in the county where the levy and garnishment were filed.
    Doesn't the state have to file the garnishment with the court in the county where the job and employer are located to be legal?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kennith7
    I owe back sales taxes in georgia from a previous busines that closed 12+yrs ago. I live in one county where the state filed the levy looking for bank accounts. They recently filed a garnishment in the same county that i live against my employer. The problem is that my employer is in another county. The physical job is in the other county. My employer has no offices or employes in the county where the levy and garnishment were filed.
    Doesnt the state have to file the garnishment with the court in the county where the job and employer are located to be legal?

No, I do not believe so - I believe a Judgment can be satisfied anywhere by any legal means o9r anyone with a Judgement against him/her would change counties or States.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

County to county probation transfer [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend and her children live in another county. I am on felony probation in the state of Florida with a "drug package". I work from home in a rural area as a freelance graphic designer and web developer and there isn't really a lot of work in this area for that. Currently I rely on contacts...

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

County officials? [ 2 Answers ]

Who is responsible for inspecting the financial records of all county officials

Probation troubles from state to state and county to county [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend was on probation in IL, he is a truck driver doing local runs in KY and sometimes needing to run from MO to KY. Due to him working so much in KY we decided to move here. Well his probation officer told him to find a place to live. We had both lived in KY before and we didn't like the...

Can I move to another county? [ 3 Answers ]

I am in a relationship with someone in another county 3 hours away. I am in California. I have primary custody of my children with some visitation for father. Can I move without the father's permisssion? Or do I have to do it through the court. I am currently in the process of asking for full legal...

View more questions Search