Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pvpatel112 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2003, 10:58 PM
    Difference between complex and real numbers
    What is the difference between complex numbers and real numbers?
    Anna26 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Feb 8, 2006, 01:51 AM
    The 'real numbers" are probably what you are familiar with: they include all the whole numbers (including negatives) like 1 and 2 and -43, plus all fractions, and even the "irrational" numbers such as square roots and pi.

The complex numbers include the real numbers plus a lot more. (It might help if you now think of numbers not as "actual" objects, but rather as things we construct).

The reason we construct complex numbers is because we want to solve various equations for X like

p(X) = 0,

where p(X) is a polynomial, and we can't do this all the time with the "real numbers" you learn about in high school.

For example, there is the equation

x^2 +1 = 0.

Solving this over the "real numbers" would mean finding a square root of -1. But as you probably know, you can't find the square root of a negative number! at least not among the "real" numbers you learnt about in high school. So we construct a new number which we call I, that satisfies this equation. In other words, we simply say I is the square root of minus one.

Then the complex numbers are all the numbers you can get by multiplying real numbers by I, and by adding the result to other real numbers,
    i.e. everything of the form A+Bi, where A and B are real numbers.

The point is, that with the complex numbers you can solve any equation of the form

p(X) =0, where p is a polynomial with complex numbers as coefficients,

(although there may be no straightforward way of doing this).

I hope this helps a little.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 06:02 AM
    Hi, PvPatel,
    The answer before mine is good.
    If you think of Real Numbers as said, like 2, 4, etc, even -2, -4, these types of numbers are answers to equations, that make the equation true.
    Such as Square Root of 4 = + - 2. If you square +2, you get 4. If you square -2, you still get 4.

Complex numbers are those with no "real" answer.
    Such as : Square Root of -4. There is no real number that you can square and get -4.
    So, Complex Numbers use I. such as 2i. as explained in your first answer.
    Best of luck.
    dlamini Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2013, 10:58 PM
    Both of these answers are good, but too general, if your question is project related, please inform me, by using this email [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between complex numbers and [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between complex numbers and real numbers?

2 complex [ 4 Answers ]

ok,here's my delima. I went out with my boyfriend last year and we broke up during the summer for my family issues. I tried to forget about him and move on. well when school started, a new student came to my neighborhood and we became friends. she started to like him and I told her go head b/c i...

Complex numbers... Help needed! [ 1 Answers ]

In our exercises we are told to solve for x (element of a complex number) 1. x^2 - 6x + 25=0 The answer is x=3+4i or x=3-4i Can anyone tell me how these answers were derived?

An Integral (Complex) [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Friends! I can't find any solution 4 this Integral. I know the correct Answer, but don't know why. Could u please help me out?? Regards Amir P.s : The Question is attached to this mail

View more questions Search