Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RootLevel Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Feb 17, 2006, 07:58 PM
    File coversion for media extenders
    My dlink dsm320 supports mpeg, avi, and xvid. Just wondering what the difference between the different formats are, and what you guys are recommending. I plan on ripping my dvds (im currently using dvd decryptor and dvd shirnk) to my hard drive so I can use the dlink in 1 room and my xbox in another for playback from my computer. Also I have a TV tuner (hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2) which saves my TV shows as an mpeg, should I leave this as is or should I convert them as well.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 18, 2006, 08:29 AM
    Google the various formats and you should find articles comparing and/or extolling the virtues of each.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Hi,
    Good question about which format to use.
    http://www.deliveryourmedia.com/arti...c-formats.html
    The above link is only one of many on the web, explaining the differences between the various formats. If you wish to view it, on the left will be links to explanations of the various color ratios, quality, etc.
    My own experience is limited to Windows Media Player, and I am sure others here will be able to give you some more insight.
    I do wish you the best.
    RootLevel Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Mar 4, 2006, 04:13 AM
    I'm sorry but that web site didn't really give me what I was looking for. I can't believe there aren't others out there on this board that aren't doing this same thing? Maybe with different hardware, but still something similar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 4, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Did you try googling as was suggested? Im sure there are many sites that compare formats.

I don't know enuf about XBox to know whether you can use it to stream video to a TV from a hard drive. I do kinow that several people sell media extenders (including D-Link and Linksys) that can be hooked into a network and connected to a TV to allow you to view content on a PC on the TV.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Media Program will read an ISO file straight from a PC [ 7 Answers ]

What I really need is a Media Player that will play a .ISO file (A DVD Movie) straight from my PC. I am going to IRAQ and want to take some movies with me over there. Vice taking the Hard DVD's. Anyone have any idea?

About advertising media [ 5 Answers ]

As a university student, your purchase behaviors are most influenced by which type of advertising media? Explore.

Streaming media [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to see if there is a free server out there to stream video. Does anyone know of one that is rather easy to use. I have found one for audio but the company does not make one for video I am just wanting this for my own personal use. I would love any help and thanks ahead of time.

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

View more questions Search