Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myhusbandsex Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2006, 06:19 PM
    Selling a house under a chapter 13
    My husband recently filed a chapter 13 in Ohio. Are we able to sell our house?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2006, 07:22 PM
    Yes ( well I say yes, you have to get the judges permission since this would change your debt, payments each month and income filing) but most likely any money above what you owe on the house will be taken by the court to pay off toward the debt.

You need to discuss this with your attorney,
    awhitepa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2006, 05:44 PM
    I am in the process of filing Ch. 13 bankruptcy and my home is not being filed. I have no equity in my home but my payments are to high. Will I still be able to sell my home and purchase another cheaper one while owing on my Ch. 13.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2006, 07:03 PM
    The court will need to approve it, now most likely they will. Remember that you listed your house payment as part of the payments you made each month. Even though it is not part of the debts being discharged when you do a chapter 13 you do a specific budget, if there is a major change to the budget, i.e. selling one house and getting a cheaper monthly payment, a new budget would be required to the court. If there is excess money in the monthly budget they could modify the chapter 13 plan to pay a higher percentage to the unsecured debtors.

So anytime you have a major increase or decrease of income the court is suppose to be notified by your agreement with the court.

But they are normally nice people to work with, just work close with your attorney who did your filing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chapter 13, divorce and the house [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings! Here's my situation. I am 1 month away from divorce trial. I have been in Chapter 13 bankruptcy and made all my payments for the last 16 months. My duration is 42 months. My wife is the co-petitioner on the Ch 13. We were exempted $40,000 on the equity of our home. The current...

Selling my house during chapter 7 [ 0 Answers ]

I need to know if I can sell my house during a chapter 7 or if I have to wait until it's finalized. I am already 3 months behind on my payments and just filed 3 weeks ago. I also got a letter from a lawyers office saying that there was a creditors exam that I did not show up for and that there is a...

Selling home with chapter 13 [ 3 Answers ]

We are currently in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy and want to sell our home.. after we sell our home and payoff our mortgage we will home proceeds left.. but not enough to pay our entire Chapter 13 debt off... what happens to the proceeds from the sale and do they have to be applied to the plan? We will...

Chapter 7 and buying a house [ 8 Answers ]

I filed chapter 7 in May of 05 and was discharged in July of 05. I have been pre approved for a 171,000.00 house. I am trying to get a FHA loan with no money down and 100% financing. I haven't met with the mortgage folks yet but my question is will my chapter 7 prohibit me from getting this house....

View more questions Search