Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdporter Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 05:40 PM
    Lighted Switch & Open Neutral
    I am currently attempting to use a lighted rocker switch to control a split receptacle.

The wiring looks right but when I power up and test the outlet, it shows an open neutral (light on tester is just barely on) when the switch is turned off. In the on position everything test out correct.

Can the power draw for the light in the switch cause this problem or should I look elsewhere
    jdporter Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 08:23 PM
    Have completely rewired this setup and now have the problem titled "Bleed Through" in another thread. (Actually it is the same result just stated differently)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2006, 01:17 PM
    OK I need the part number of the switch/pilot light you have. Like I guessed, seems something is in series. Did you split anything on this switch?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lighted switch flickers [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, We purchased and installed two lighted lightswitches (switches light up when off) in the same switch plate. It has two switches. One of the switches works appropriately. The other lighted switch flickers/flashes. We replaced the lighted switch with a new one, and it still flickers. Could...

Outlet Question: Open Neutral - Hot / Grnd Reverse? [ 6 Answers ]

This past weekend two outlets and one light fixture went dead in my basement after turning on my stereo. I checked the breakers and none had tripped, so I re-set the one in question just to be sure. Still dead. I haven't been in this house too long, so I thought to check for another breaker...

Suspected open/loose service neutral [ 1 Answers ]

I had a BGE (local power company) service person come out to investigate what I believe to be an open/loose neutral problem. The service person did not believe there to be a problem. (and didn't even seem to understand that power traveled in a loop and needs a return path) When a clamp-on amp...

Open neutral - 3 wires; white as hot? [ 1 Answers ]

OK, I've encountered an oddly wired outlet in my kitchen and am trying to replace it with a GFCI. I unwired the old outlet, taking note of where things were attached, just in case. I wired the GFCI acoording to instructions and then checked the wiring with a Sperry GFI checker. All seemed OK. ...

Open Neutral [ 2 Answers ]

I need some expert assistance... I think that I have an open neutral on the power company's side. They came out to look at it today and didn't fix anything, and I would like someone else to evaluate my conclusion before I call them tomorrow. This is a commercial building that I am...

View more questions Search