Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lowlight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2008, 10:51 PM
    A weird Wired Smoke Alarm chirping issue
    Hi there. My wife and I have been having an ongoing issue with the wired smoke alarm system that is installed in the condo that we live in (the condo was built 3 years ago). Basically, no matter how often we've tried to replace the backup batteries with brand new ones (9V Energizer Alkalines) in all of our wired units, the one in our upstairs hallway still seems to go off with no provocation whatsoever at odd hours of the day (all of the other alarms are always silent). Why would a wired smoke alarm system continue to have a single chirping alarm even though all of the backup batteries have been replaced with brand new ones for all units in the house?

What's even more bizarre, this is now the third time we've had to use one of the original (old) batteries, a GP SuperCell 9V Alkaline, that was previously installed in a different unit in the house to silence the troublemaker one in the hallway. Why is it that placing one of the old batteries back into the chirping unit silences it when a fresh, brand new battery should have done that instead? The Property management company we rent this Condo from thinks we're simply either crazy for reporting this issue or to simple to replace the batteries that we clearly have. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:confused:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2008, 02:37 AM
    Clean the sensor in the detectors with a can of air.

Is there any possibility that the smoke alarm is near a humid place like the bathroom or any place where condensation can occur?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2008, 07:49 AM
    I installed 5 Interconnected AC w/battery backup smokes, that continuously false chirped. BRK was the manufacturer, They had a recall, but it was for earlier manufacturer date. They replaced 3 that would randomly chirp. Problem persisted, then they replaced all 5, works fine now. Ends up they felt the defective one was causing othes to chirp.
    What a pain, They work fine now. They had always been wired correctly and with new batteries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard Wired Smoke detector [ 7 Answers ]

My house has four smoke detectors, all of them hard-wired with back up batteries. I needed to replace one and the replacement seemed very easy. I had turned off the AC power, installed the new smoke detector, but when I turned the power off, all four detectors went off and wouldn't shut off at...

Alarm goes off but not because of smoke [ 6 Answers ]

the smoke detector alarm goes off but its not because of smoke. What could be the other probable reasons? Is condensation a probability? Is getting a central humidifier going to solve the problem? What would be a good route to take?

Smoke alarm [ 3 Answers ]

How come my hardwired smoke alarms are chirping?

Smoke Alarm [ 1 Answers ]

We have a smoke alarm direct wired into the house. It continues to chirp periodically. What causes this and how can we make it stop? Its wired not battery operated so its not a dead battery. Thanks, Eric

Removing hard wired smoke alarm [ 2 Answers ]

Mcsteph here again. I wish to remove a hard wired smoke detector but cannot find the fuse that switches it off. Is there a fuse or is it always on? Either way, how do I remove it without smelling like burnt pork? TKRussell? anyone?:confused:

View more questions Search