Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sazzer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Convert Electric Dryer outlet to regular outlet
    I just bought a gas dryer, leaving a funky 3 pronged outlet unused. The outlet was connected to the fuse box as a single circuit and I would like to let the new gas outlet take advantage of this. Is there any problem replacing the 'funky' electric dryer outlet to a regular three pronged outlet, so I can plug the dryer back into this circuit?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Look at this page and see if you can find the receptacle that matches your funky outlet. If you notice from that page, the 20 amp, 110 volt receptacles have one prong turned sideways. If this is what you have (AND THE VOLTAGE ACTUALLY MEASURES 110 VOLTS), I would think you could replace it with a standard 110 volt receptacle. Note that the 110V, 20A receptacle on this page actually takes either a normal (15A) plug or the 20A plug with the sideways prong.

If your "funky" outlet matches any of the 220 volt receptacles, I would not try using this receptacle.

I offer my opinion as a starting point in your research. I'm not an electrician!

Best of Luck,
    WallyH
    bolt in blue Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Apr 27, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Yes, it can be done. It involves doing two things: replacing the 240 volt 30 amp outlet (almost all electric clothes dryers are 240 volts on a 30 amp outlet - old ones have 3 prongs, new ones 4) with a 120 volt 15 or 20 amp outlet and also replacing the double pole circuit breaker in your panel with a single pole 20 amp breaker.

If you're not comfortable inside your circuit panel, you probably should call an electrician. If you discover that your dryer is aluminum cable (mine is), you very well may want to replace the cable. Aluminum cable definitely requires special attention, so let us know before doing anything with the aluminum.

If your dryer was wired with 3 conductor cable (3 conductors + bare ground), you simply cap off one of the hot wires on either end of the cable and connect the new outlet and breaker. If your old cable was 2 conductor (2 conductors + ground), you'll replace one of the hots that was on the double pole breaker to the neutral bar, add white tape to the end to signify it as a neutral (if you don't already have a white wire), and then mark the outlet end of the cable white as well. This is now your neutral for the 120 volt outlet.
    sharjeelkarim Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 07:49 AM
    I have a 50amp 125/250v electric dryer outlet, which is unused in my basement. I wanted to hook up a regular 110v desktop computer to it. Can I just plug in my step down 220v to 110v transformer into the electrical dryer outlet (after converting transformer plug to match the electric dryer receptacle) and safely plug my computer into the transformer?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2012, 08:46 AM
    If your going to change the dryer outlet to match the transformer, why not just convert it to a 120 volt receptacle?

Jul 13, 2012, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    If your going to change the dryer outlet to match the transformer, why not just convert it to a 120 volt receptacle?
    No, I want to change the transformer plug to match the electric dryer outlet... I don't want to do anything to the dryer outlet since I'm renting and not allowed to change it... which is the reason I'd like to just use a transformer, if possible. Let me know. Thanks.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2012, 12:11 PM
    Is this the only receptacle you have available to you?
    I'm curious because you seem to want to go to a lot of trouble for
    A PC that can be plugged in almost anywhere...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2012, 04:58 AM
    Very good point,

Quote Originally Posted by sharjeelkarim View Post
    I dont want to do anything to the dryer outlet since I'm renting and not allowed to change it... which is the reason I'd like to just use a transformer, if possible. Let me know. Thanks.
    Sorry I misunderstood. How do you plan to change a converter plug to match the dryer receptacle?

Is this dryer outlet the only available outlet?

Jul 17, 2012, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Very good point,

Sorry I misunderstood. How do you plan to change a converter plug to match the dryer receptacle?

Is this dryer outlet the only available outlet?

Well I was going to purchase one of those electric dryer 50a 125/250v male plugs and then cut off the regular plug off my transformer then wire the electric dryer plug to it so it plugs into the electric dryer receptacle... if this is possible...

I do have 2 more outlets in the basement, however, I have my washer and gas dryer connected to one and a deep freezer connected to the other. I used to have the dryer/washer/deep freezer connected to one outlet but it would trip the breaker on my power strip so I connected the deep freezer to a second outlet. I wanted a new power source for my computer repair workshop, which could have as many as 3-6 computers running at once (2 constantly) and I didn't want to take a chance connecting it to the other normal outlets shared w/ the washer/dryer or deep freezer. So in short, the electric dryer outlet is the only one available.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric Outlet just stopped working [ 5 Answers ]

Any idea why my outside electric outlet would just stop working? It worked just fine the other day. Nothing unusual happened but today it doesn't work. Thanks

Electric outlet will only work with lights on [ 6 Answers ]

I have two electric outlets in bathrooms that only work when the light switch is on. The master bedroom bath electric outlets work when the light switch is off. What can I do to get the electric outlets to work when the light switch is off? I have a little knowledge in dealing with electricity.

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Electric outlet [ 1 Answers ]

How to cnnetct wires and instal electric outlet

Regular outlet [ 2 Answers ]

Can an outlet go bad just a regular outlet the reason I'm asking is the I plugged in my miter saw in the garage and I heard a weird sound and off it went checked the breaker the breaker works but never tripped off, plus now I don't have any light in the Hallway and the outside post, probably all...

View more questions Search