Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Apr 26, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Vegetable garden with underground electric lines in my yard
    The electric supply to our house is buried underground from the pole to the house. There is a nice spot in the yard that gets full sun that I'd like to develop into a vegetable garden like tomatoes and salad greens etc. I know I can dig near the buried cable obviously but how far away from it would be safe? I've heard stories how electrical fields can cause anything from Leukemia to Alzhimers and whether it's true or not I wan't to feel safe about the food we grow organically. I know exactly where the power cable is. Would 10 or 12 feet back away from it be safe? Just asking for opinions. Thanks! :(
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 10:32 AM
    I believe you are confusing the high power lines that supply all the electric to entire cities with the one bring power to your home, that power goes to that breaker box in your house, and into the wires in your home,
    The amount of electric in the line coming to your home actually surrounds you daily in the wires within your home.

Just be sure and not dig on it or into it ( and it should be deep enough that this could not happen hopefully.

Apr 28, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Of course you are right. I feel much better after reading your reply.:)
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2008, 04:56 PM
    I would not worry about the lines. And they should be plenty deep to not worry about hitting them as long as they were put in by code, and you are using a regular garden tiller.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Hey, my high school science project which won honorable mention in national competition was entitiled "Electroculture in Radish growth" which looked at the effects of high voltage electricity on radish growth. Short answer, they grew faster. If I remember correctly, it was probably about 9-12 killovolts at about 6".

Buried residential power lines probably have no where the electric field to produce this kind of behavior.

May 9, 2008, 02:29 PM
    I will be throwing all really nice looking radishes on the compost pile after reading that. LOL I'm going 20 feet away from the undergrouind line putting a fence around the patch to discourage digging anywhere else if I do get a "senior moment" plus I'm turning my patch over with a hoe and a spade, no power equipment. I got the book Sqare Foot Gardening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding Things Underground in Your Yard That You Didn't Expect to Be There [ 23 Answers ]

I'm just wondering if there are other folks out there who have found artifacts or other things underground in their yards that they weren't sure as to what they were or if they did know what they were, didn't expect to find such a thing or things in their yard. While rototilling a number of...

Mixing lines in underground conduit [ 1 Answers ]

Can I place electrical lines, telephone lines, and data cable together in a single run of underground conduit?

Install underground Pettsafe electric fence [ 4 Answers ]

I hve been planning to install an underground fence for my 10 pound yorkie/zu. While reading about these I came across info on the Instant fence from Petsafe. This type sends out radio waves from a transmitter (the trans mitter is inside of the house or another place like a garage.) The waves...

Kitchen vegetable sprayer is noisy [ 1 Answers ]

[i just put in a faucet with a vegetable sprayer attatachment. Everything works fine. No leaks and water pressure is good. But when I use the vegetable sprayer it makes like a knoking sound like air is trapped. The hot and cold tap water does the same thing for about 15 secounds then stops. ...

View more questions Search