Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iloveoliver Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 11:14 PM
    Social Security funds & bankruptcy
    I need help to see whether Social Security monies are exempt from bankruptcy. The Chapter 7 bankruptcy papers were filed on Mar 21, 2008. I checked my checking acct balance on Mar 20 and found a large deposit from the US Treasury. It represented 14 months of back pay for SS disability. I had applied last August and had not expected to be approved.

There was $140.00 in the account on that day. Are these funds still exempt once they have been deposited and co mingled with other monies?

Please I am so anxoius about this and losing sleep. My atty seems to think they are but is not 100% positive. This makes me nervous and not feeling so confident in him.

Any advise would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 12:24 AM
    In most state, disability income cannot be garnished or attached by creditors. Check with your local attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social security no. [ 1 Answers ]

Seeking my father's social security no. he is deceased and I do not have his death certificate handy. Thanks

Bankruptcy/social security [ 10 Answers ]

To go along with my previous question... my disability is my only way to pay for rent and meds , etc... also don't you have to be served and have a chance to rebut against this... it shouldn't belegal to take my disability... it is not a paycheck...

Bankruptcy/social security [ 1 Answers ]

Can you file bankruptcy when you are on disability and the creditors a re all over you and they are taking garnishments and setting judgements against you? When on disability you barely have enough to live on... let a lone pay bills... these are all creditors that I had before being put on...

Bankruptcy/social security [ 2 Answers ]

My only source of income is Social security and a past creditor has put a garnishment on my checking acct... is that legal (credit card)

View more questions Search