Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bhupati Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 10:29 PM
    Unable to restore system
    Dear Sir,

When I restored my computer it was showing the system can't be restored.Sir my OS is XP
    Service pack 2 and I want to know what is the problem that it is not restoring.Sir tell me something about Corrupted files because when I told this problem to one of my bosom friend he told it due to some of your auto run file has corrupted.After booting the system
    Immediately when I try to open "My Computer" it is searching the icons of disk drives and it
    Coming after 4/5 minutes.Sir I am very depressed that I am not able to getting all the data access of my computer system soon.Also in the notificatoin area the anti virus icon ,option
    For internet icons are coming after 4/5 minutes
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Does your computer have the "system recovery" partition installed?

This is a common option on HP/Compaq computers and allows you to recover the computer to it's "out of box" state.

If you can't eliminate this specific problem, I would back up anything you HAVE to have, keeping in mind that if you backup the corrupted file, when you re-install the backup, you will create the same problem again.

Once you do the backup, if you do it, open the recovery console and choose advanced options, destructive recovery.

This will reformat the computer, wipe everything out, and you will be starting over as if you just purchased it.

Good Luck.
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2008, 05:25 AM
    Comment on progunr's post
    Good Answer, I disagree with your sig. you are a pretty good expert!
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Progunr stole the words out of my mouth, Follow their advice!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 28, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Actually I have to caution you against using progunr's advice AT THIS POINT! There may come a time when you will have to use it, but you should try some other things first. The reason is that, as he said, this restores your PC to its out of box condition. This means all your data, any programs you have installed, and any settings you have customized will be wiped out.

The first thing is to tell us the EXACT error message you are getting then you try a System Restore. While it may mean nothing to you, it may give us a clue as to the problem.

Second, have you run anti-virus and anti-spyware scans? Its hard to tell but from your explanation it appears that you can boot, but its very slow. You also need to do a Disk Cleanup.

Try these things and report back the results.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Venting the unvented drain system [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to vent to unvent my homes drain system without opening up walls

Venting the unvented drain system [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to vent my unvented homes drain system without opening up walls

Microsoft critical system error [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with a game I have recently dowloaded. The game is voyage century online and it is an mmorpg but when playing it while loading a city or a ship a message comes up that says "Microsoft has encounterd a critical sytem error and recoverd. Reboot your computer to resume full...

Unable yo delete [ 4 Answers ]

Some files I cannot dlete with my XP+sp2. I get this massage: "Cannnot delet [file or folder}: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" What should I do? Thanks Alik

View more questions Search