Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_MAGANA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Relinquishing rights
    Hi my name is Jessica ,

I wanted some advice on my family's situation.
    My brother got incarcerated 4 years ago , leaving his girlfriend pregnant. She had been living with us till about a year ago when she moved back to her parents house . She would go and take the baby to his dad and they were engaged to be married . Recently she left him and got together with another guy. Now she wants us to have nothing to do with the baby and says she's is going to take him out of the state to raise him by herself I recently talked with my brother and he wants to relinquish his rights to me How can I go about doing that
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 06:06 AM
    He the brother still in jail?

This is a state by state issue in the US, of course even if he gives up his rights, it does not stop his requirement to pay child support.

Next you can't do anything for your brother beyond helping hm find an attorney.

* many states will not allow a person to even give up their rights to start with, others may allow it, but the judge will have to approve it ( and some just will not) So you will need a local attoreny to guide you though this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquishing rights [ 17 Answers ]

What is the legalities to relinquishing rights of a child whom you feel you can not fulfill an obligation to because of not knowing the child and not being able to comply with conservator rights. And also when rights are relinquished is child support still paid?

Relinquishing rights [ 2 Answers ]

What is the law for child support if you give up parental rights?

Relinquishing rights [ 1 Answers ]

How can I relinquish my rights of the child to the mother with out a lawyer in the state of California?

Relinquishing his rights. [ 2 Answers ]

My sons father does not pay child support the way he is supposed to. He hasn't seen my son in over a year and doesn't care to see him. Is there an inexpensive way to get him to give up his rights? I have been quoted prices any where from 5000-10000 to get it done. Please help!

Relinquishing rights [ 5 Answers ]

How can someone relinquish their rights without an attorney? I have filed for a modification to my child support and we have a court date for that but he has decided he wants to relinquish rights. I have my husband now who wants to adopt her if my ex-husband relinquished rights. How can we do that?

View more questions Search