Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needaknow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Briggs and Stratton Front tine tiller
    What is the proper crankcase oil level for a Briggs and Stratton 5.0 horsepower 4 cycle. I bought used one that didn't have a user manual. I filled crankcase to bottom of threaded fill plug and when running oil ran out of air filter. Any information will help
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 06:29 PM
    There is usually a slot like thing in the oil fill port. Fill to the top of the slot, just like you would put water in a car battery.

I doubt you overfilled it.

The oil breather needs to be replaced. Find the engine model, stamped on the blower housing and go to Home - Briggs & Stratton and/or Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears Parts Direct | SearsPartsDirect.com from Sears Both should have parts. The tear down manual will be better at B&S. Find the oil breather in either location.

If the tiller has a model the sears site should cross referance.
    needaknow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    There is usually a slot like thing in the oil fill port. Fill to the top of the slot, just like you would put water in a car battery.

I doubt you overfilled it.

The oil breather needs to be replaced. Find the engine model, stamped on the blower housing and go to Home - Briggs & Stratton and/or Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears Parts Direct | SearsPartsDirect.com from Sears Both should have parts. The tear down manual will be better at B&S. Find the oil breather in either location.

If the tiller has a model the sears site should cross referance.
    It does not have an oil breather. It has a dry air filter.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Oil breather's look like:
    http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/14...56304040_2.jpg

It's an open small hose pointing down usually on the side of the engine with a filter internally attached. You really have to look for it.

All small engines have them. When they are plugged you pull oil into the air cleaner.

Your talking about an oiled foam air cleaner.

I'd bet you money that it has an oil breather, but it's against the rules.

Look up your engine and/or tiller model and do some leg work. I can't without that information.

We used to have oil breathers on car engines, but that's been replaced with the PCV system. The oil fill cap was vented through a filter element.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Yes it does have an oil breather to ventilate the crankcase. It is a small rectangle shaped box about 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" and has usually a black tube coming out of it to the air filter housing. I fill the engines to the top of the threads on the lower fill port.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older Craftsman Tiller w/5hp Briggs and Stratton [ 11 Answers ]

I recently acquired an old tiller that I have gotten to run. It will only run on full choke. It will only till for about a minute or so before going dead. It will idle for a long period, but it's kind of a rough idle. Do I need to adjust the carberator? I have already changed out the gas and...

5hp briggs and stratton tiller motor need model # or replacement motor [ 3 Answers ]

I have an earthquake tiller model 5020 with a 5hp briggs and stratton motor that I need to replace but I can not find the model of the motor. Does anyone know which motor replaces that motor or do you know the model number of the motor that was used on that tiller?

Briggs and Stratton 14.5 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Poulan 38" cut rider with a Briggs and Stratton 14.5 hp engine. It is about 6 or 7 years old and has always ran great and has had regular maintenance (oil change and plugs, kept out of direct weather). It sat in the garage for about 2 months due to illness when my wife decided to...

Briggs and Stratton 16.5 hp [ 3 Answers ]

My friend has a Briggs and Stratton 16.5 hp engine on a riding lawn mower. He asked me if I had ever seen one that leaked oil from under the flywheel. He said there are two holes under the flywheel that oil is seeping out of. I am totally at a loss of the holes he is referring to and therefore I...

10 hp briggs and stratton [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what the intake and exhaust valve setting for a briggs and stratton generator. Thank you :(

View more questions Search