Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RedShark92 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2010, 01:19 PM
    Also like to jump in to thank applguy for the help and add a follow-up. I did successfully replace the part as described here and got rid of the squeaking sound.

I'm now occasionally getting a rhythmic thump when the dryer is running. Not all the time, sometimes it starts with it and then it stops, sometimes the opposite.

I did take it apart again, added a bit more lube in, but I can't find where it may be hitting to cause this thump. Any ideas of where to look?
    sandi_v Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2010, 07:24 PM

mkettelhake1, Thanks for the website for parts. Should I purchase just the "Rear Bearing Kit" for my squeaky dryer or will I need more than that?
    rancrm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2010, 09:31 AM
    Just wanted to say thanks to the appleguy--heres another registration from a happy dryer fixer!! Ordered the part online and it was here in two days and the dryer was fixed by myself in about an hour and 15 minutes... thanks again Appleguy from another happy mother!! :)
    jjperymn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2010, 01:46 PM
    Hi There. My 3 year old Frigidaire dryer is making a high pitched noise like everyone else's... but no one else has mentioned their clothes burning? As soon as the squeeling started, I have had about 3 or 4 items of clothing have holes burnt in them and plastic zippers melted. Are these problems related, or do I have two different problems?
    army96 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 12:02 PM
    I googled "squeaky dryer" when mine started to make this same noise and found this forum. I took the advice of applguy and ordered the rear bearing kit (on amazon.com), followed his excellent directions, and replaced the bearing, cradle, and drum support post in about 30 minutes. The hardest part was getting the belt back on... it required me using both hands, one on each side of the blower, to stretch it around the wheels while keeping it all in place.

I encourage anyone who is moderately handy to take this project on! And I recommend an extra set of hands as was mentioned here before, although it would be possible to do yourself if needed.
    army96 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 12:05 PM
    jjperymn: to answer your question about the heat... mine was soing the same thing. I would think it's the same problem. If your bearing is worn enough it will generate a lot of heat as it grinds. I did notice a few burn marks on clothes.
    sandi_v Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 12:35 PM
    I used to have the squeak and waited and waited and researched a solution and did not follow up :(
    Now the squeak is gone, should I be worried?
    bibico Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 08:37 PM
    I repaired mine (a stackable dryer) a couple years ago. It took a bit of patience, but was well worth it. The repair is much easier when the dryer is separate, apparently, but the parts are virtually identical. Here's a link where I posted comments and photos.

Definitely fix it if the squeal is getting worse. Also, when you do the repair, you'll have the opportunity to clean out all the lint that's accumulated throughout the dryer. Mine dried so much more efficiently after cleaning all the old stuff out, it was like having a new dryer.
    zambi44 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 05:35 PM
    Comment on applguy's post
    Thank you for posting this. I was able to purchase the bearing kit for my Fridgidaire stackable laundry center and followed your step by step instructions. It was a very easy repair. The hardest part was lifting the drum off the old bearing because it was so corroded and fused to the plastic housing. I needed two people to hoist the drum out. Once it was off it was very clear cut. Great tip about seating the ground bearing with lubrication to keep it in place. The kit cost $32. And I am grateful that I saved several hundred dollars and I gained an education. Thanks again for sharing this.
    angelathom88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2011, 12:52 PM
    OK, so I love this site and it sounds like my problem BUT- my husband says "order the parts and I'll fix it" so I go to kemore's website and can't find a "rear drum bearing" anything. I am not mechanical at all- and I can just hear it now if I order the wrong part and he has the dryer taken apart and it's the wrong part- & I won't have a dryer until the new (correct) part comes in- SO I need to make sure I order the right part... can anyone help? I have a Kenmore Elite He4 model 110.85866401 and its sqealing loud like everyone is talking about. I just want to make sure I get the right part- then I can get this squealing that is driving me crazy to stop and look smart to DH :-)
    Thanks!
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2011, 06:57 AM
    Any time you work on a drier and have the drum out you should use the opportunity to clean out all of the hardened on lint and dirt to prevent a future repair or fire. DrTom4444
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2011, 07:01 AM
    Comment on bibico's post
    That was a smart move to clean it out while you had it apart. I have found many driers by the side of the road where the only problem was dirt. I have never had to buy one because all I had to do was pick one up for free until the price of scrap rose. DrTom4444
    dlynch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2011, 10:33 AM
    Comment on angelathom88's post
    Your dryer drum is supported by two wheels underneath rather than a central bearing. On the Sears site search for "support". This might be a good alternative: http://repair2000.com/tuneup.html
    handyg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 09:58 AM
    I followed applguy's advice and repaired my Kenmore dryer in about an hour. The part number he listed was bang-on with the part store's inventory. I also found a nice YouTube video that shows the exact steps:

YouTube - Dryer Drum Bearing Kit Replacement (part #5303281153)
    giulford69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2011, 05:58 PM
    Folks, Does anyone know if this fix will work for BOSCH NEXXT Dryer. Ours is sooo loud, it wakes the kids up from the basement to the second floor
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2011, 09:38 AM
    It sounds like the main bearing on the end of the drum. Look at the YouTube video to see how to change it. It's not a hard thing to do. About all you need is a screwdriver set or one with several tips to change it. It's very easy to do. DrTom4444
    zambi44 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2011, 09:54 AM
    Comment on drtom4444's post
    I changed the drum bearing in about 2 hours. The only hard part was getting the drum off the old bearing because it was melted. So it needed a lot of force to pull it up and off. The new bering was very easy to install. My dryer works like new again. Any DIY er can definitely tackle this project and you will feel good that you did it at a cost of about $35.00.
    I_plod Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2011, 08:12 AM

You may have saved our lives and our house. Yes, the dryer was squeaking, yes I changed the parts out (2 hours). But the bottom of the case was 3 inches of felted lint. There was evidence inside of chared lint.
    All clean now
    mzoom33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2011, 07:25 PM
    I have a Frigidaire Affinity electric dryer (AEQ6000ES2). I had the squeak problem, and I fixed it with the rear bearing kit as AppleGuy suggested. I must have made some error however, as now my dryer makes a knocking sound when it runs. There doesn't seem to be anything otherwise functionally wrong, and the knocking is less annoying than the squeal, but I am hoping (begging) that someone can help me out with how this new problem may have happened... Thank you in advance. My frustration level it nearing its peak.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2011, 08:05 PM
    Your drier has overheated and melted the white grease from around the rear bearing which ruined it. Replace the bearing and clean out all parts with water except motor. This includes duct work and blower fan. This lint builds up and is like concrete which burns. Look on YouTube for instructions; it's easy to do. Look through all parts to get them clean, and replace belt, too. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squeaky dryer - Kenmore Stackable [ 8 Answers ]

My 10 year old Kenmore stackable dryer unit has been squeaking loudly for about 3 weeks. It is also drying much slower than usual. The vents do not appear plugged. The high pitch squeak occurs on each rotation of the drum and sometimes briefly is quiet. Is this something I might be able to...

GE Profile Squeaky Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Your description on repairing the Frigidair squeaky dryer was very clear. I too have a squeaky dryer but it is a GE Profile. If it is not too much trouble can you please provide the same clear directions on how to fix my problem. One added comment. The squeak is louder and more frequent with...

Samsung squeaky dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All: I have been following the threads on squeaky dryers. I have a (just) one year old Samsung stackable dryer (model DV4006) that has just started squeaking. First it was intermittent, now it is continuous (and piercing!). Is it normal for these parts to go so quickly? I hope to try to...

Squeaky dryer [ 6 Answers ]

We have a dryer that is obnoxiously squeaking every time that the drumb spins... first off I don't know what is wrong with it... second we would like to fix it... but my big question is it safe to use in the mean time?? Lastnight I hung all my wet clothes in the garage and guess what?? Yep... they...

View more questions Search