Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deuce Rider Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Appleguy,
    As has been said by many... Thanks! Our machine just started Screaming last week. My first thought was to use some belt dressing on the belt... thought that did the trick... for about five minutes:rolleyes:
    I decided to Google "clothes dryer squeak" and hit on this thread. Again, excellent advise, with great results. Thanks again, Appleguy! And, as previously mentioned, you rock! :cool:
    krs1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 11:10 AM
    I need to replace the Drum Bearing on my dryer also. I purchased the kit, but it did not come with any grease. What type of grease I need to used? What is the best grease to use for the rear drum bearing?
    dkent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 05:59 PM
    I was curious where did you guys purchased the Frigidaire rear drum bearing kit? Online? From a Frigidaire dealer?

Thanks,
    Darren
    Marth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by quantafer
    My dryer makes these brutal high pitch squeaking sounds. Does anyone know what might be causing it and how to fix it? It`s about a 5 year old Frigidaire

Thx
    Oil might be all you need! My Kenmore dryer (about 20 years old) developed that loud squeal recently. I didn't want to spend the time to do the bearing replacement myself or invest any money in such an old machine. Before I went to purchase a new dryer, my daughter (a 21-year old college student) took a look at it, found a small, round opening in the middle of the back panel, saw "something turning" when the dryer was running, and oiled it - the squeal went away! She said the sound was like metal-on-metal so she just went looking for access to the inside of the dryer, and found it. Hope this unbelievably simple solution works for you, too.
    meyers4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 03:50 PM
    We also have a squeaking (squealing) Frigidaire stacked washer / dryer combo. Does anyone know where to access the pulley, idle arm, bearing area? Thanks.
    Gary in Pennsylvania Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Hi folks! I registered here because of THIS thread and all the good advice I've read here.
    I own Kenmore Stacking Laundry Unit model# 417.94802301.

I can CLEARLY hear the squeeking outside the house. It's driving all of us insane! It started weak at first and would then die out after 2-3 minutes. Now it's constant! Arrrgh!

Here is the exploded view of my drum/parts:
    http://tinyurl.com/ytkd47

I suppose I need parts #12 and #32?? And maybe #30?)

A separate Google search told me I have to take the front and top off to get at the drum... Correct?

PLEASE HELP ME! :(
    Laundrymattie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Hi guys just registered once I read appleguys post too.
    I have a 5 yr old hotpoint dryer with a squeak when you first load the dryer and stops after a few minutes would this also be the same problem (bad drum bearing) Please help want to get this solved before it's too late. Thanks
    jloebe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 09:01 PM
    Comment on applguy's post
    Right on the money!
    jloebe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Applguy is the man - the rear bearing in my GE was shot and his instructions were spot on. Super easy 30 minute fix! It would appear that Frigidaire makes this same unit for a variety of brands. Anyway, I bought the kit from partwizard.net and paid $29.15 total. GE wanted $75.00 for the kit so be sure to shop around. I just Googled 5303281153 and found the kit on eBay for less than $12. Oh well, you win a few, you lose a few. Have fun!
    sconant49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 07:18 PM
    I just unscrewed 2 bolts there were holding a little panel on the back of my dryer and sprayed some WD-40 on the metal piece that was spinning and my horrible squeaking noise went away. Took about 2 minutes.
    tonedef Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dkent
    I was curious where did you guys purchased the Frigidaire rear drum bearing kit? Online? From a Frigidaire dealer?

Thanks,
    Darren
    Since this was asked a while back it may be irrelevant, but it may help somebody else to know where to get the parts. I was able to find the part needed at the local Appliance Parts store that deals in just this sort of things. In fact the store here was actually called 'Appliance Parts'. Look in the local yellow pages (or do an online search) for the brand of your dryer and Frigidaire and then looks for parts or repair. The part cost me less than $22 and on the phone I just had them check if they had it in inventory and to confirm that it was labeled as a rear drum bearing.
    bparent Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 03:21 PM
    I too have a squeaky Kenmore Dryer, 417.91142000. The squeak isn't constant, so I'm hoping the noisemaker hasn't degraded too badly. Guessing a rear bearing problem, I found and bought the bearing replacement kit at the Sears web site, but it arrived without directions.

Applguy's response helped me get the drum off, (Thanks!), and I have the parts in hand, but I'm concerned that I've got the wrong parts. The ball shaft on the old part has a flat head with a recessed center for the ball bearing to fit into. The new ball shaft is not recessed. In fact, it has a slight bulge where the recess is on the old ball shaft. Is that a problem?

Also, the parts kit (5303281153) came with a tube of lube, but it is some sort of oil, not grease. The old bearing drum support has grease in it, mostly black due to age and use, but with hints of white here and there. Did I get the wrong lube, or is using this oil a better solution than grease?

I'm guessing that the ball bearing and clip on the rear are there just to make it easier to apply more lube, as others in this thread have done to solve their squeak problem. Is that true? I wish I'd read this thread before buying the parts.
    lizzie64 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 02:59 PM
    I have a 5 year old Whirlpool dryer that just started doing the same thing.

Can I assume that the same part needs replacing and do it?

I just registered and this place is great
    bparent Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Lizzie64, I don't know whether your dryer is at all like my Kenmore (previous post), but you might want to check to see if there is a lube access door on the back. Had I read this list first, I would have tried adding lube first, before bothering with replacing the rear bearing. As it turned out, I didn't replace the bearing, since the new parts were slightly different, and instead removed the drum, cleaned off the old grease, applied new grease, and put everything back together. So far, so good.
    lizzie64 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Thank you Bparent. Actually I have a GE profile. LOL

I'll ask my husband to take a look and see. Stupid question, what do you grease it with?

Thanks again!
    Liz
    U2fanwhoneedshelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2007, 10:54 PM
    HELP! I found this forum and was hoping to add a "it was a snap" comment, however, I've got a problem. After picking up a rear bearing kit at a Sears Parts Outlet ($23) I followed appleguy's advice. I replaced everything and finally put all the pieces back together (hint: work on pulley/belt from the back for an easier angle) AND NOTHING HAPPENS! Everything is plugged in (I 10X checked my color coded wires and fuse box), but I push start and NOTHING! Help! I'm +7 hours into this project and DO NOT want to give up! Any advice on what might be causing the lack of power?

Hoping for Good News,
    JOSH
    bluebaron100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Well, my Maytag is only a few years old and has progressively gotten more squeaky, now it is shrill, this thread seems right on, but the part 5303281153 is for Frigidaire and their genre, will this work also with a Maytag as I cannot find a separate part elsewhere
    ckat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 03:01 PM
    I just replaced the rear drum bearing on the dryer and then heard a thumping noise. You also need to replace the Front drum glide $30. ( a piece of foam with 3 plastic tabs ) if one wears out so does the other.
    wolfpack95 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by quantafer
    My dryer makes these brutal high pitch squeaking sounds. Does anyone know what might be causing it and how to fix it? It`s about a 5 year old Frigidaire

Thx
    Glad I found this place and thanks for all the replies.

I have a 10 year old White Westinghouse that was making the same high-pitched squeal about 30 minutes into the drying cycle. I lubed the rear bearing with WD-40 and the squeal ceased for about a week but I had to reapply because the squeal started again.

Can anyone recommend a good, long lasting lube (probably a grease) that they've had success with? My WD-40 can has a straw which is nice because I can lubed without moving the dryer however it looks like its drying out too fast. I would guess an automobile grease would be long lasting and resistant to the high temps.

BTW, I believe White Westinghouse/Electrolux/Frigidaire at some point were all the same company as my mom worked there for many years and the plant name changed among these three during her employment. In other words, the designs may be very similar so try one of the cheap suggestions (even if your brand isn't the same) before buying any parts.
    CraZyDan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 10:19 AM
    :) Done! And the squeak is GONE! :)

It took me an hour with the help of my 8 year old. If it can help someone, the bearing kit I bought for my Frigidaire dryer is made by Electrolux and is also good for the following brand: White Westinghouse, Kelvinator, Gibson, Tappan and Philco.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squeaky dryer - Kenmore Stackable [ 8 Answers ]

My 10 year old Kenmore stackable dryer unit has been squeaking loudly for about 3 weeks. It is also drying much slower than usual. The vents do not appear plugged. The high pitch squeak occurs on each rotation of the drum and sometimes briefly is quiet. Is this something I might be able to...

GE Profile Squeaky Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Your description on repairing the Frigidair squeaky dryer was very clear. I too have a squeaky dryer but it is a GE Profile. If it is not too much trouble can you please provide the same clear directions on how to fix my problem. One added comment. The squeak is louder and more frequent with...

Samsung squeaky dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All: I have been following the threads on squeaky dryers. I have a (just) one year old Samsung stackable dryer (model DV4006) that has just started squeaking. First it was intermittent, now it is continuous (and piercing!). Is it normal for these parts to go so quickly? I hope to try to...

Squeaky dryer [ 6 Answers ]

We have a dryer that is obnoxiously squeaking every time that the drumb spins... first off I don't know what is wrong with it... second we would like to fix it... but my big question is it safe to use in the mean time?? Lastnight I hung all my wet clothes in the garage and guess what?? Yep... they...

View more questions Search