Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nizzo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Simple webcommunity
    Hey.
    I have a question that needs answering.

I am trying to set up a simple webcommunity site and I am running a forum (discussion board) and a live chat. Both of those require user registration, I was wondering if I can somehow, don’t know how, make it so that a user just has to register in one of those two (The forum or the chat) and automatically register the second one… So for example, if a user chooses to register in the discussion forum he will automatically also be registered in the chat and vise versa… (The chat and the forum are totally different from each other, different scripts and different locations on the website.):)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Not realistic with two different apps. Check with the maker of the forum software you're running... they may have a compatible chat script.
    Nizzo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    Not realistic with two different apps. Check with the maker of the forum software you're running...they may have a compatible chat script.
    Hey

I’ve already checked with them, and they don’t have anything… (It’s very simple “open-source” script, but the best forum I’ve seen, and it’s highly customizable.)

But then, I have another question, how do one build a web community?
    You don’t have to answer how it’s scripted or how the HTML codes work just the “overview” concept of how a “well-oiled” community website works. For example, how do I grant the users to open their own accounts on my website and be able to control their own blog and get other privileges such as private calendars and other thing. And be able to just login to the main page and thus be automatically logged in to other parts of the page, such as the forum and chat under the same nick and pass? Now, I have most of the tools that I need, Dreamweaver, good webhost and a basic + knowledge of HTML and PHP.

The question may seem dumb, but I’m just a newbie in the HTML world and just trying to feel the possibilities of what’s realistic and what’s not. And yes I’m well aware of the work that lay’s behind these kinds of projects. I mean, I know how much work is behind the construction of an ordinary (non-dynamic) website. I can only imagine how much work is behind a (dynamic) web community site, still its done, just have to know where to begin.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2008, 08:14 AM
    I've never done a Blog partially because Forums do everything I need...

Here's an option to try: Simple machines forum with the SMFBlog "add-on".

You don't need to know any code to get it going, so I think for doing what you want it will be a good way to get your feet wet with a community site.
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nizzo
    I don't really like the SMF forum, too complicated to customize and the feel of it really doesn't integrate with the sites layout (it stands out to much).
    In my opinion you won't find much simpler/user friendly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Simple possession [ 2 Answers ]

Yes sir, my vehicle was searched while I was inside of a barberhop without my consent when I walked out they ask me was it my vehicle I said yes so they ask me for id then they ask me was that my marijauna in the car I asked them what marijauna. They asked me to turn around and place my hands...

Simple pendulum [ 2 Answers ]

The length of a simple pendulum is 0.760m the pendulum bob has a mass of 365g and it is released at an angle of 12.0 degres to the vertical. a) With what frequency does it vibrate? Assume SHM. b) what is the pendulum bob's speed when it passes through the lowest point of the weing? c) What is the...

Simple pendulum [ 1 Answers ]

How long must a simple pendulum be if it is to make eactly one swing per second? (that is one complete vibration takes exatly 2.0s)

Simple problem [ 2 Answers ]

Sink will not stop dripping and getting worse.

Simple qest [ 2 Answers ]

Do medical students get paid? If yes: What is the salary for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th year students?

View more questions Search