Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Val_A Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 02:44 PM
    How can I gain access to web pages that are limited to certain countries or areas?
    I would like to gain access to US web pages such as ABC, MTV and many others. However because I live in the UK, every-time I try to view videos or use a specific part of the web pages a message pops up telling me that I cant. I Hear that it has something to do with the IP and Proxy server setting, is this true ( if so how would I even change the settings?) , is there a way around this problem :confused:

please help :(

oh and to make matters perhaps a little more complicated.. . I am a Mac OS X user, the net browser that is use is Safari
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 25, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Val_A
    ...message pops up telling me that i cant.
    What's the exact message?

Just looking at abcnews.com, many of the videos are in an Adobe Flash wrapper. You may not have recent versions of all the necessary browser plugins and video codecs to view the content, but you should get a message to that effect.

IF a proxy is involved, it would be either a) software on your computer, b) software/device at your business (if you're at work), or c) software/device at your Internet provider. B and C are outside of your control.

Can you view the video in the middle of the BBC news Sri Lanka bus blast bus story? That video is packaged similarly to the ones on abcnews.
    Val_A Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 04:56 PM
    [QUOTE=Scleros]What's the exact message?

When I click on a video on MTV U.S or ABC the message would usually read something along the lines of

" Restricted from playing this video outside the U.S "
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 25, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Oh, that's probably the site itself restricting where it's content can be viewed due to copyright or perhaps export restrictions.

You'd need to use a proxy server based in the U.S. See if Howto watch ABC TV Streams outside the USA is any help or Google for "US proxy server". Essentially you set the address of one of these servers in Safari's connection settings. Then when you browse, Safari contacts the proxy, the proxy requests the web site page and video, the web site gives it to the proxy, and then the proxy returns it to your browser. I expect these sites also take steps to thwart proxies.

An example of configuring a proxy in Safari is shown halfway down on this Safari Proxy Setup page. You would enter the server address obtained from the steps above and enter it instead of the "proxy.rice.edu" entry as shown.

I've never used a public proxy and can't recommend one. Perhaps if you repost your question as something like "outside US, what's good US proxy?" someone outside the US with experience will see it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Limited internet access: msn works, nothing else does [ 3 Answers ]

My friend has been having the same problem with her internet for some time now. Her internet access lets her use MSN messenger, but only the version that comes with the Windows OS. Nothing else having to do with the internet works, (for example: web browsers, windows live messenger, Yahoo...

How does Psp Networking Online Work in some Areas, and not some Areas? [ 3 Answers ]

Im very curious about how the psp works... Some time I lay in my bed, and wait for the psp internet to reach the access point, and the SSID's name is Anne... I don't know, some one else's wireless or sum thing like that thingie. I go to display connection, and it says 10%, then I move the psp to...

Foreign Income in two diff countries . But paid tax already in those countries [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am resident alien for Tax Yr 2006. I earned some income in Singapore (3 months) and In India (3 month) in Yr 2006. I guess, I can claim foreign tax credit for India as I am citizen of India and I pass 12 months test. But In Singapore I was on for 5 consecutive months and out of that only...

Unable to access cgi pages on wireless connection [ 1 Answers ]

When I use my laptop & wireless card with my friends access point I can connect to the web with out a problem. When logged into eBay viewing an item hyperlink I then try to look at the item i.e. cgi.ebay.co.uk page it fails. This does not happen when I an on dial up. Several other pages fail,...

View more questions Search