Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artngeri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 02:00 PM
    Noise from Pipes and a warm floor
    I noticed that my hall way floor across from my bathroom is warm and the pipes are starting to make noise. Before my husband jackhammers the floor, where would be the best place to find the problem. With a warm floor and pipes with noise, my husband is afraid that there could be a broken pipe. Is this true? We just purchased a water heater and plan to install it this weekend. Could this help?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 25, 2008, 03:28 PM
    I noticed that my hall way floor across from my bathroom is warm and the pipes are starting to make noise. my husband is afraid that there could be a broken pipe. Is this true?
    I really hate to confirm your husbands worst fears. You have a under-slab hot water leak. And it gets worse. The leak doesn't have to be where you feel the heat because water,like electricity , follows the path of least resistance. This means that you'll have to call in a leak detection service to pin-point the source. In addition to losing water that you pay for 24/7 you have the additional expense of heating it as well. I would shut the cold water supply off to the heater every night to conserve water and electricity.
    Put the new water heater on the back burner for now. You have more important things to look after. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upstairs warm main floor COLD [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new townhome with 3 beds upstairs, main floor, and unfinished basement. Main floor will not stay warm. I used to oven to heat the main floor to 68 degrees and it fell to 62 within 1 hour. Getting heat out of the vents but it's not as hot as the vents upstairs.

Keeping living room/floor above a garage warm [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all. I live in a house where the living room is directly above a garage with a new insulate garage door. The living room floor is insulated. However on really cold days the air infiltration through the floor above the garage is ridiculous. What can I do to better isolate that space above...

Noise in pipes and refrigerator noise with water chugging out of drink mechanism [ 4 Answers ]

Originally, we heard a noise from the refrigerator once in a while, changed the filter which lessened the noise. Now we hear a chugging in the pipes in our bedroom ceiling, kitchen ceiling and in both bath rooms. It occurs occasionally. One night we shut off the hot water heater and it was...

Noise from pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if there is anything I can do about this, I have just moved into a new flat and have found that there is a constant "rushing noise" coming from the pipes. This is 24/7 and only quietens after I quickly turn a tap on and off (but does come back after a few seconds). It seems to emminate...

View more questions Search