Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frazwood Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Apr 25, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Waste/Vent Size
    I just purchase a house built in 1968. I am trying to add a second bathroom on the main level.

Yesterday, I decided to cut some of the existing vent lines (they're galvanized steel) in the home so that I could connect the vent lines from the new bathroom. I noticed that the old vent lines are only 1 1/4" ID pipes (venting bathroom sink and a bathtub/shower). Is this a problem?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 25, 2008, 11:42 AM
    I noticed that the old vent lines are only 1 1/4" ID pipes (venting bathroom sink and a bathtub/shower). Is this a problem?
    No! Although we run our vents at two inches, One and a half is still acceptable in most areas. Inch and quarter is a little small I don't think that it's worth tearing up your walls to replace it if it's venting OK. Regards, tom

Apr 26, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    No! Although we run our vents at two inches, One and a half is still acceptable in most areas. inch and quarter is a little small I don't think that it's worth tearing up your walls to replace it if it's venting OK. regards, tom

Thanks Tom!

After looking at some of the plumbing, it looks like some of the drain lines (a bathroom sink, for example) are also 1 1/4-inch.

Also, will I face a problem (with inspectors etc) when I connect a new vent line (1 1/2-inch until the connection) to these older, smaller vent lines?
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 26, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Have you pulled a permit on the job? Lavatory traps are 1 1/2" reduced down to 1 1/4" with a nylon gasket. It's all going to depend on the inspector.. In our area your vents would be grandfathered in. Good luck, Tom

Apr 27, 2008, 05:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Have you pulled a permit on the job? Lavatory traps are 1 1/2" reduced down to 1 1/4" with a nylon gasket. It's all going to depend on the inspector.. In our area your vents would be grandfathered in. Good luck, Tom
    I'm kind of new to home improvement projects like this, so I am not sure what people mean when they say "pulled a permit". So, I'll give you the long-winded story:

I applied for a permit for room remodeling, which actually requires three separate permits (one each for: electrical, plumbing, and room remodeling). After I pass an electrical inspection (assuming that I do), then I'll have to deal with a "rough-in" plumbing inspection and then a final inspection.

I think that I could get into some trouble when I attempt to connect the vent lines from my new plumbing into the old, smaller waste vents. The main stack is cast iron, so I'm trying to avoid dealing with that as much as possible.

Anyhow, thank you very much for all of your help!
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 27, 2008, 05:36 AM
    I applied for a permit for room remodeling, which actually requires three separate permits (one each for: electrical, plumbing, and room remodeling). After I pass an electrical inspection (assuming that I do), then I'll have to deal with a "rough-in" plumbing inspection and then a final inspection.
    That's "pulling a permit".
    Call the building department and tell them your concerns and ask their advice.
    "Grandfathered in" means that you can keep the old stuff as long vas the new stuff is up to code. Good luck and let me know what happens. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size of waste lines from toilet to main [ 4 Answers ]

I have been told that 3-inch drain from a toilet achieves a better "swirling" action than larger 4-inch pipe, therefore helping to carry away solid wastes better. Is this true ? And if so, how far should I run before opening up to the main 4-inch waste line that exists my concrete slab ? :confused:

Waste / Vent Stack Setup [ 4 Answers ]

I've put a 2-story addition on my house, working on the plumbing now. There are 2 full baths in the addition, one on top of the other. To make things complicated, the upstairs toilet & sink are above the downstairs shower, and the upstairs shower are above the downstairs toilet & sink. As...

Can I vent from [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning to install a bathroom in a small dormer room on the third floor of my old house. The room sits between two plumbing stacks. The original one with cast iron pipe and a newer one with ABS pipe. I wish to locate the toilet and shower stall on the wall with the cast iron stack. I...

View more questions Search