debsy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by debsy
    why would it be necessary?
    Kk
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 25, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Debsy, please be patient, we volunteer our time here and lead otherwise very normal lives.

As a matter of fact, I was studying for my nursing final exams when you posted your question.

Now, we need more info to answer you correctly. Alternative medicine is wonderful for certain conditions, but can be very dangerous for others.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Alternative medicine can be great as a pro active healthy lifestyle.
    Like if you keep your body cleansed and balanced with anti oxidents and other supplements you can have a better quality of health than not and possibly avoid some health problems you may have gotten with poor eating and poor health habits.
    If you really study an illness, the supplements and all your option and what all to do sometimes you can have a better quality of life than being on a bunch of different medications that only mask the problem. If you can find a good alternative dr. often they can figure out what is causing your symptoms and treat them rather than going on meds that mask the symptoms. But you have to be careful to balance everything.
    Like some people hear that Apple cider vinegar is good for balancing the PH in their digestive tract. So they drink Apple cider vinegar everyday to the point they do not have enough acidity in their stomach.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 25, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    So they drink Apple cider vinegar everyday to the point they do not have enough acidity in their stomach.
    Which puts them in Metabolic Alkalosis, which can be a VERY life threatening situation. As I stated above, alternative medicine has it's place and it's not for everyone and not for every illness.
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jun 16, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Alternative Medicine was the only medicine waay long ago.
    Dr Dermie Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2008, 07:36 AM
    In some countries it is known as complementary medicine and many general physicians - up to 30% in 2004 - are able and willing to recommend it with or instead of a prescription medicine. But do you know what the real issue is with complementary medicine? Compliance. If was addressing every single person under the care of a doctor right now (and that would be a lot of people) I would say this: you won't stop smoking, you won't stop drinking, you won't lose weight, exercise or manage your health in any responsible way; then how on earth are you going to take "senega and ammonia" for example, four times a day instead of one tiny pill that has been proven to break down mucous in the lungs faster, more effectively, more cheaply etc etc? If you won't finish the pack of antibiotics, or even take your depression medication or your heart pills, how confident am I going to be recommending that you have flax seed oil morning and night? It's not 'necessary', it's 'complementary'. Some of these therapies are so strong they give the liver one hell of a workout too - some also interfere with prescription medicines that have been proven to work in clinical trials and patient cohort studies run over decades. I'm happy to recommend these therapies to patients but only if I am confident they will comply with the directions. And I'm sorry - but there aren't many of you that do!
    BoxingRoo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 01:26 AM
    The ones who did follow the ways of ancient herbalists in China did live much longer than people of our new age dependent on the bi"pharmaceutical". They save your life from the right and kill you from the left. Long live the nature.

Jun 27, 2008, 04:06 AM
    How is my response allopathic? And who "lived longer?" The people that died of influenza, whooping cough, plague, post-polio syndrome? What practical answer would you offer for the 40% of patients who don't take their cholesterol medication AT ALL or the 90% of asthmatics who fail to use the inhaler properly? My point was that I wasn't confident that patients would comply with complementary therapies (when they require MORE COMPLIANCE) when they can't/won't even take one pill a day or inhale the mist from the inhaler correctly, stop smoking and/or boozing. So, what is your practical point about being "too allopathic"? Do you want a patient in respiratory distress with air trapping to 'focus on their chakra' or something? And what do you mean by 'long live the nature' which isn't really a sentence?

Jun 27, 2008, 04:08 AM
    Hey BoxingRoo, just interested to know what you the think 'the ways of Hippocrates' are?
    BoxingRoo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2008, 05:40 AM
    [QUOTE=Dr Dermie]Hey BoxingRoo, just interested to know what you the think 'the ways of Hippocrates' are?[/QUOTE

The ways which only few members of the medical community are really following. How sad. And please don't bring this polio, plagues and cholera to this discussion. I said "the people who did follow the ancient herbalists lived longer". Just one little sample is how homoeopathic hospitals in London performed during the plague. Mortality rate in the allopathic hospitals was 75% to only 40% in homoeopathic wards.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2008, 05:46 AM
    I know fo'real that I see a bunch of people the doctors have hooked on anywhere from 5 to 20+ medications have no quality of life and they are always crying about their various ailments. The people I know that follow the herbal supplement route have a quality of life and very active and little to complain about.
    I know if I didn't take my supplements I would have a lot of health problems.

Jun 28, 2008, 02:12 AM
    BoxingRoo. I wish you would read my original reply. I don't think alternative therapies are "necessary." I think they are complementary. I use them. But I don't believe after 17 years in practice that MOST patients will benefit. Because MOST patients WON'T stop smoking, drinking or using illicit drugs. SO how could they benefit from CM if they can't do those simple things? Ergo, not necessary but complementary. You pushing your barrow is not helping. Your data about plague survival in London is a lie. London was evacuated during the plagues. I know this because of my own study of astronomy. Isaac Newton had to leave London along with everybody else during the plague. Once again, to borrow from the Latin; ergo. Don't you dare tell me either, what I can and can't mention in this post. You are not an editor or an administrator. If you can blithely mention people living longer in ancient China in one post and then put stuff on the web about plague survival in London without any evidence, I can discuss historical facts I have gleaned in my own right. If patients can comply with supplements, good for them. I can and do. It's not necessary, it's complementary. BoxingRoo, leave your ego behind and learn your limitations. This site is about helping people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the necessity of power factor improvement? [ 20 Answers ]

What's the necessity of power factor improvement? Is it just because it will improve the power output also? Is there any other reason?

Are crowns a necessity for root canals [ 2 Answers ]

I had a root canal done about 3 weeks ago and today I found out that my dentist wants to put a cown on it. I an asking if this is truly needed for the cost is over $500 and I just paid $450 for the root canal.

Business plan. Its necessity [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, guys!! Can you tell me if it is necessary to make a business plan if you aren't going to attract investors and run a small business? Thank you!

View more questions Search