Craftsman DYT 4000
    Oil spits out of fuel pump screen
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Fuel pump screen?
    ssbow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2012, 08:17 PM
    I have a Craftsman DLT4000 with an 18.5 B&S Intek Plus engine. The engine only has about 14 hours on it, but is about 3 years old. Over the weekend, it started smoking - oil burning blue smoke. When I turned the key off and got off the tractor, it kept running for about 30 seconds, puffing huge amounts of blue smoke.

After it cooled, I started it, and it still blew blue smoke, especially during drive or throttle changes. When looking at the engine more carefully, I noticed oil leaking out of the fuel pump (I'm guessing coming in through the vacuum line)... but the fuel pump seemed to work fine, as the engine still ran OK, just billowed smoke.

The only thing I did since then was an oil/filter change (SAE 30) and the oil coming out seemed to be OK (not overly thin, or smelling like gas, etc).

So, any ideas what could be forcing oil out the vacuum line for the pump? Or what could be getting oil into the combustion chamber? Especially on an engine with so few hours? Any suggestions as to where to start looking??

Thanks in advance!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

Running at 4000 rpm after cold start. [ 2 Answers ]

On cold days I like to drive the first 3-4 minutes in low gear - keeping the RPMs at 3500-4000. This makes the heat come out warm much faster. If I drive normally, then the heat will not come out warm in the 10 minutes it takes me to get to work. Is doing this harmful to the engine or tranny?

View more questions Search