Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spyked1130 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 06:56 AM
    My wedding
    Having a hard time figuring out if I should have my 15 year old daughter attend my wedding to another women. Would like some feed back regarding this issue.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Without hardly any background information on your problem, it's a little difficult to form an opinion and give advice... but... off the bat, my opinion is that if you want her to be involved in the life of you and your new bride in the future, then yes, I'd say that you should have her there...

Can you give us a bit more information?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2008, 09:01 AM
    I think the person you should be asking is your daughter.
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Apr 25, 2008, 03:50 PM
    My father remarried when I was 15, and I HAD to go to the wedding. I was living with him and he basically made me go. I hated being there. But we probably had a different situation then you do with your daughter. Since my father did not ask me if I wanted to go or not, and I did not want to, then my advice to you should be ASK your daughter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Well "to another women" I would hope she has meet, had a chance to know, perhaps did some activities with both of you. So this "another women" should be well known to her and you should know how they get together.

You should invite but not force her to go.
    IheartEdward Posts: 203, Reputation: 4

Apr 28, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Ask her.
    DEBBIE44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 06:22 AM
    It is hard for a girl to see her father with another woman. You can't leave her out but you can give her the option. Just tell her you are getting married and that you would love her to be there but if she chooses not to let her know you understand and that daddy still loves her anyway.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2008, 01:50 PM
    You should invite her and involve her to the degree she is comfortable. If she wishes not to come, don't guilt her about it. Just tell her, "If you decide to come even at teh very very last minute, you are welcome and I will be thrilled to have you there. But I know this might be difficult/awkward for you and am not going to force you to come".

You don't have to tolerate disrespect but she has the right to disapprove or not participate. I don't say that just because it's a same-sex marriage but rather because most children want their parents to be married to one another, not to someone else. It may take her years to accept your relationship if she objects to it now. In my opinion if you respect her views without tolerating disrespect or rudeness to you or your partner, you are paving the way for her to see in a non-threatening way how important the relationship is to you.

Talk to her on an adult level but don't expect her to be an adult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding Plans for court house wedding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi!my name is toya i'm about to get married next month. I only have low income. Of course we are having a court house wedding, but what else can help us out like where to get dress, where to get suite, where to get rings.as well what can we do after wards i plan to have something att my house.so i...

Court House Wedding or Back Yard Wedding? [ 18 Answers ]

We are on a limited budget as far as our wedding goes. We want to spend more money on the rings and honeymoon than the wedding. So, we want something intimate and special but small. So these were the two options that we were thinking: 1. A small ceremony in his parent's backyard. There...

Wedding [ 5 Answers ]

I fiancé and I are planning our wedding which started to be a large affair.. However, with everyone’s lack of interest I would just rather elope. My family lives 3000 miles away and I’ve tried communicating by phone with what needs to be done but it just ends up in an argument. My mother is not as...

Wedding Attire for 5 P.M. Wedding [ 3 Answers ]

What is the appropriate attire for a middle-age women at a 5 pm wedding and a 6 p.m. reception?

View more questions Search