Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1peony Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Hipaa violation
    I work at a medical billing office, only 2 people in our office ever have reason to look at charts. I recently looked at my own chart as I see a doctor in a group that we bill for to see if any of my co-workers might be looking at my chart and to my surprise my direct supervisor and 2 co-workers have been looking at my chart.

We have access to medical charts via electronic medical records, one would think we only have codes, but, we do have access to chart, nurse notes, rx info, dx history, and doctor notes.

When I was hired there was no compliance training, no manual given, no policies. We are a reputable company with many clients.

I told the director and she stated she is going to talk to my supervisor next week when she gets back from vacation and will implement a policy that if this happens again it will lead to immediate dismissal; it can't happen again since my acct has since been locked. What rights do I have? What should happen? What should I do, besides being very intimidated about my future here, although I was assured by the director there would be no problems. Mind you, I have been with this company for only 3 months.

The information she accessed contains all medical information including personal history showing I was adopted, my pain medications, information about a law suit settlement...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2008, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1peony
    i work at a medical billing office, only 2 people in our office ever have reason to look at charts. i recently looked at my own chart as i see a doctor in a group that we bill for to see if any of my co-workers might be looking at my chart and to my surprise my direct supervisor and 2 co-workers have been looking at my chart.

i told the director and she stated she is going to talk to my supervisor next week when she gets back from vacation and will implement a policy that if this happens again it will lead to immediate dismissal; it can't happen again since my acct has since been locked. what rights do i have? what should happen?

the information she accessed contains all medical information including personal history showing i was adopted, my pain medications, information about a law suit settlement.......

You would have to prove the information they accessed actually harmed you or your reputation. (I'm pretty startled that this could happen.) What do you think they did with your info? Does your office do HIPAA training? (It's HIPAA, not HIPPA.) I would think it would be grounds for immediate dismissal.

I don't know how this works but a medical billing office actually has a patient's chart? I thought you just had codes for services and then billed based on that.
    Smoked Posts: 157, Reputation: 29

Apr 25, 2008, 07:15 AM
    Failure to comply with HIPAA can result in civil and criminal penalties

U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) clarified who can be held criminally liable under HIPAA.
    Whom "knowingly" obtain or disclose individually identifiable health information in violation of the Administrative Simplification Regulations face a fine of up to $50,000, as well as imprisonment up to one year

Just look up HIPAA online and you will find all the info you need.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2008, 06:40 AM
    The question here is what you want to do. Yes, it certainly appears that your information was not properly safeguarded, but if you report it, what happens is your company (and your doctor's office) will most likely get fined. It is doubtful that you will get any money. So what do you think working there will be like (or getting cared for by the doctor) if you cost them a big chunk of money?

I would follow up with the director to make sure that patient data is properly safeguarded and employees trained to comply with HIPAA. You can do this under the guise that you are trying to protect the firm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Is this a HIPPA violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I was recently hospitalized and disclosed the naturre of the visit to a co-worker in confidence. She then related the info to my boss. The day before I was to report back to work, I received a phone call from the head of HR who told me I had to report myself to the state medical board or else he...

HIPPA violation? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a lap band surgery performed in mid December. I work for a surgeon who happens to be the chief in the department. After informing him and my supervisor of my surgery, he called his lover and told him of my upcoming surgery. He then had him call me and try to talk me out of...

Hippa Violation [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a violation of HIPPA or any privacy law when a former dental office sends a letter to our minor children with their account numbers, birthday and our home telephone number printed on an address label? I really don't want the US postal service delivering private mail with our phone # and...

HIPPA violation [ 3 Answers ]

I was in a substance abuse program an one of the emploees told some of her friends and others in the public that I was an addict an also what medications I was being subscribed. So know half my town knows my story. Can I take legal action?

View more questions Search