Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jersey Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 04:55 AM
    Teflon tape or caulk/sealant?
    I am replacing the broken top section of a threaded Jones Stephens shower drain. The old section had plumbers putty used as a thread sealant on the PVC threads. The putty manufacturer says not to use it on plastic. Should I use teflon tape or a caulk/sealant (DAP KwidSeal for showers)?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Hi,
    I am sure you will get other answers besides mine.
    I would go with the Teflon Tape, wrapping it in the same direction as the "screwing on" direction will be.
    Best of luck.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 17, 2006, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey
    I am replacing the broken top section of a threaded Jones Stephens shower drain. The old section had plumbers putty used as a thread sealant on the PVC threads. The putty manufacturer says not to use it on plastic. Should I use teflon tape or a caulk/sealant (DAP KwidSeal for showers)?
    If what you're replacing is; http://www.hardwarestore.com/brands/...rporation.aspx
    Then Fred's correct. Teflon tape is what you should use on the threads.
    But since there's no pressure involved and no standing water in the drain pipe we don't tape the threads when we install the threaded drain and strainer on a flange type shower drain meant for tile showers. However, taping the threads isn't a bad thing. It's just something we don't nominally do at installation. Taping the threads wouldn't be much of advantage since the threads are in the mortar and even if they leaked like a sieve, (which they don't) the weep holes located in the flange type shower drain allow any excess liquid that filters on through the tile and mortar to drain back into the trap. So taping the threads would be a "dealers choice". We just don't do it.
    Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exterior - caulk instead of mortar? [ 1 Answers ]

In some modern commercial construction, I've seen something that looks like caulk instead of mortar at some large joints. I need to replace the mortar on my front porch bluestone steps and was interested in trying this instead of traditional mortar. Does anyone know what this material is?

Caulk vs. Grout [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm a newbie here and need to know something -- Are CAULK and GROUT the same thing?? If not, what is the difference? Thanks!

How Do You Remove Sealant From A Tub... [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a house and decided to remove the sliding glass shower doors from the tub frame (non-ceramic, plasticky type). After we removed the hardware and tracks we noticed long lines of clear sealant that will not pull off. I am afraid of using a widget or any type of razor...

Sanded vs Unsanded caulk? [ 2 Answers ]

I am grouting a new ceramic tiled counter top and can only find "unsanded" caulk in the same color as the grout? What can I do to make the caulk look "sanded"? Thanks, Kavanaugh

Teflon vs Green Stuff [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing some solar hot water installations which involve a lot of plumbing - tanks, heat exchangers, solar collectors, valves, temp gauges, etc. Some solar contractors I know like to use "green stuff" pipe dope, whereas regular plumbers seem to prefer teflon tape. Stories I've heard include...

View more questions Search